Diesel smog test for 1998 & later Calif trucks

Discussion in 'Rumor mill' started by Big Glyn, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Big Glyn

Big Glyn Old Guys Rule

Most guys probably all ready have herd about the new diesel smog program for California starting in 2010, but if not then here it is. Starting in 2010, all 1998 & later diesel powered on road vehicles 14K pound GVW and less will be “smog” tested (smoke guessed). Basically there are 3 parts to the program. First, the smog technician visually checks your vehicle for missing or modified equipment. Second, the smog technician hooks up a machine to the OBDII connector and scans for codes/check engine light. Third, the smog technician visually checks for smoke while revving up your engine between 2000 & 3000 RPMs and makes a guess as to whether it passes or not. No actual machine is used to test smoke color (density or opacity) and no actual gas analyst takes place, like what is done in a gasoline smog test. The California Bureau of Auto repair (BAR) came up with this “smog test” for diesels that does not require the smog station owner to purchase any additional equipment to do this test. In fact, the software upgrade to check for codes is suppose to be done for free for the station owners. Here is a link to the BAR site http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResourc...ulatoryActions/FAQs for Diesels 1-8-09_GC.pdf
    I believe the BAR's intent is to target modified trucks, not clean up the air, otherwise the BAR would require an actual sniff test or opacity test like what fleets currenty have to go through once a year under the Calif Air Resources Board's Period Smoke Inspection Program (PSIP).
    I am working on a website to help guys out who fail the diesel smog check. I'll post a link once the website is up. In the mean time we got to figure out how to fight this baloney from the BAR. cookoo

2. opusd2

opusd2 Full Access Member

Isn't this country really turning into a nice place to live? What's next? Particulate filters for the farm animals we have to pay extra taxes on?

3. towcat

towcat Administrator Staff Member

welcome to the site.
    i can use some clarification on the 14k gvw and above trucks.
    from what I understand the new rules are.....
    1)all trucks in this class must meet 2004 and newer rules regardless of age.
    2)older trucks that don't meet these requirements must be retrofitted to meet these requirements.
    3)if the truck can't be retrofitted, the truck must be retired.
    If you have info that can get around this, I'm all ears.
    here's my sources..........
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/hdvip/hdvip.htm
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents.htm
    Subject Top Page: On-Road Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles (In-Use) Regulation

4. Big Glyn

Big Glyn Old Guys Rule

(note: this post/reply is refering to the ARB's On-Road Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles (In-Use) Regulation, not to BAR's diesel smog testing for light duty vehicles starting in 2010)

towcat...you are on the right track by reading the ARB's website. You can "repower" an older truck with a newer engine that will meet the new emission standard, but it is expensive and difficult for a number of reasons. Mostly because you are putting a newer "electronic fuel injected" engine into a truck that was made for mechanical fuel injection. Plus, most of the newer electronic fuel injected motors are larger diplacement & higher horse power and torque, therefore the transmissions & drive axles may not last and may not be geared correctly. (source-Detroit Diesel powertrain engineer dept)
    Even if you repower an older truck, it will still have to be retrofitted with a DPF.
    As far as getting around the regulations, there maybe some exceptions to the regulation based on how many miles & hours a truck/tractor is driven in a year.
    The ARB says it is going to make trucks registered in other states, conform to Calif rules if the out-of-state trucks enter calif. I have not seen or herd how exactly the ARB is going to enforce this, because there are some exemptions to the rules. The whole thing is a mess and a financial burden to the diesel truck owner.

5. icanfixall

icanfixall Official GMM hand model

All this crap sounds like someone is trying to rid the state of smog hogs. So a super duty Or F450 running on vegi oil will burn cleaner. Why couldn't a owner be running on bio and burn clean when they need to "pass inspection". Geez.. You can buy the carp called Pass Or Don't Pay gas additive at any fakeass auto parts store like autozone or kragens and be running that to pass.... Now you are telling me some boozo is going to just be "looking" at the smoke and declaring it a pass or not... Sounds to me like someone will be getting some money under the table if thats what it takes to pass. My brother has Steve Salenes 88 or 98 Mustang that he raced at Detroit to an almost win.. Seems someone messed with his fuel and ruined th race at the end. Anyway, he has nmber 21 and gets it "smogged every other year for the street. He "pays" a friend in the testig business for this. The race car is street legal and has always been... This is just to show all that "things" can be done with some thought.

6. FordGuy100

FordGuy100 Registered User

So when they say 98 and later...does that mean pre 98, or post 98? Like are rigs from 1900-1998 in the running for this, or 1998-2009?

California is bankrupt as it is...why are they trying to do this when they have no means to do so.

7. Double-S-Diesel

Double-S-Diesel parts seller

the beauty of the Computerized trucks is you can go from no smoke to insane smoke with the flip of a switch

8. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Mentally Unstable..

what does this mean for the IDI's? How can a computerized DPS system be installed on our totally mechanical trucks? I thought the IDI were emissions exempt in California. My IDI don't eve have a Cat converter like all IDI's, and it passed safety inspection up here in Nova Scotia

9. DragRag

DragRag Registered User

It mean nothing for IDI's as long as you are an F350 or smaller. The F450/superduty is now a dinosaur in California's eyes, and will no longer be allowed on the road 04' and older. That is, unless you put a new engine in it. Why would one spend that kind of money on an old truck though. Essentially Calif is legislating a ton of trucks off the road. The rest of the states can expect to see a lot of Californias old iron in there states. That will drive down the values even more, and result in a glut of old trucks, and parts real soon. Califnornia politicians are truley a bunch of dim whitted idiots.

10. Neil

Neil Registered User

Here is more info on the upcoming testing.Notice of Proposed Action Info e are interested in starts on the 2nd page.

FAQ's located here

And everything else you wanted to know HERE

The visible smoke test appears to be a joke.... I think there will be a a lot of false failures simply because the guy doing the test doesn't like diesels.

11. Neil

Neil Registered User

My thoughts exactly!!

12. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Mentally Unstable..

I'll take an old piece of California iron....I would LOVE to have a rust free IDI or Powerstroke in my garage! That seems really unfair to the small business owner. I mean a guy who bought an old SD to do his roofing business or landscaping work is now screwed. This had better not make it's way to Canada or else my boss is screwed. We have 3 L9000 dump trucks that run the 855 series cummins and 2 that run the 3406 cats....they smoke like green wood on a fire, and being from the late 70's and mid 80's, they are completely emissions exempt...for now

13. hheynow

hheynow the misanthrope

You are too kind. They are only concerned with their re-election with zero regard to the economic devastation these regulations will put on Californians. The trucking companies will raise the cost of delivery to recoup their investment and everything will soon be more expensive. The only winners are the upgrade suppliers and mechanics who to do the install.

I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this any more!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ELleCQvew

14. Neil

Neil Registered User

A few weeks ago I was in one of Sysco Food Systems yard visiting with the the fellow in charge of their fleet of trucks. I commented on the fact that they had already installed the DPFs of all of the tractors. He said that those were only a band-aid and by 2016 every one of those tractors would have to be off of the road.

What a shame that CA ARB has been given absolute power to do whatever the nut-case tree huggers that work there decide is best for CA. Apparently they do not care what this is going to do to the trucking industry or to the end users pocket book.

Everyday that passes is one day sooner I can get the hell out of this state that is run by a bunch of self serving jack asses.
    I am mad as hell, unfortunately, I have to put up with this crap for about 4 more years!!

15. Big Glyn

Big Glyn Old Guys Rule

There are two different regulations that are being discussed here, one for heavy duty (14K GVW and above) and one for light duty (under 14K GVW).
    The light duty one is the diesel smog test starting in 2010. It only affects 1998 to 2009-on. If you have an older diesel powered light duty vehicle, no worries cause you are not being tested or inspected (at this time). It is a BAR program, like the gasoline powered smog test.
    The heavy duty program is a ARB program that is requiring you to get rid of (or repower) 1993 & older trucks. When this has to be done depends on the size of you fleet. Starts in 2011 for big fleets, starts in 2014 for small fleets.
    The California politicians did not come up with this program, it is being forced on California by the Feds cause Calif air does not meet federal air quality standards. No Calif politician would want to piss off the trucking industry and business owners with this kinda of crap. Calif is a victim of its own success, location, ecomony, and population. Location-we have a large coastline where a lot of imported stuff comes in, and trucks move the stuff to the rest of the country. Economy-at one time, 6th largest in the world= a lot of stuff being bought and sold-moved around inside the state. Population-a lot of people driving around since we have a piss poor public transporation system and a lot of people using smog producing equipment (lawn mowers, weed eaters, construction equipment, ect..)
    Now, I am not for a minute going to let the politicians off the hook! The feds told Calif to clean up the air, but not how to do it. That part was made up by the numbskulls right here in Calif. The ARBs response to complaints by business owners about this knucklehead plan is as follows-"70% of the trucks on the road in Calif are owned by big companies that buy new trucks every three years, therefore 70% of the trucks will be in compliance with no addational cost to the owners". What that means is 30% of the trucks used in Calif are used by small business owners who are going to be screwed by this program. The small business owners are the people who can least afford to buy new equipment. That is why this program is such a pile of crap! :mad:
    Now, the ARB will say there are grant programs out there to help. Bullsh*t! -cuss Calif has no money so they cut most all the grants. If someone has a different take on the program, I'd like to hear it. :rolleyes: