Diesel Rx Glow plugs

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested several plugs today, this is by no means scientific as they are all junkyard pulls. I setup a battery measuring 13.02v (LiFePO4) with 12 gauge wire going to each plug. Each picture is after 10 seconds counted in an oh-so-very scientific one-one thousand, two-one thousand method. I tested 2 Beru and 3 Diesel RX plugs. 3 Diesel RX because one glowed for a couple of seconds and then died. The second DieselRX plug I tested worked, and then popped, spitting glowing metal at me. I'd never run a DieselRX plug in my truck. The Beru plugs clearly outperform the DieselRX plugs, they heat up faster, they glow brighter, they don't send metal flying at you or inside your engine.

I'm sure this experiment could be improved upon, however this is basically the same thing as using a manual glow plug switch. Battery type shouldn't matter, resistance is resistance and the glow plug is getting fed the same current it would from a lead acid. New plugs out of the bag obviously would be the proper way to try this.

The first is a Beru - measured .8 ohms beforehand
You must be registered for see images attach

The second is a Diesel RX - Measured .7-.8 ohms

The above DieselRX plug popped after 10 seconds.

Second Beru plug, measured .5 ohms

The last DieselRX plug, measured .8 ohms

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow you were right… they have come to the conclusion that it is most definitely my fault that they all failed. They said I must have used a boost charger for them to all die at the same time.

I didn’t use any charger since my batteries are like new. But that’s good to know that a slightly higher voltage can destroy the plugs. IT WONT

One thing I noticed was that the DieselRx plugs were all around 0.7 - 0.8 ohms (including my fluke lead resistance) whereas the Beru ones were like 1.0 - 1.1 ohms.

Pretty big difference in current draw there.
Yeah and the Z strip is there to regulate the current, but they dont know that, they just sell crap and its never their fault when it fails

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested several plugs today, this is by no means scientific as they are all junkyard pulls. I setup a battery measuring 13.02v (LiFePO4) with 12 gauge wire going to each plug. Each picture is after 10 seconds counted in an oh-so-very scientific one-one thousand, two-one thousand method. I tested 2 Beru and 3 Diesel RX plugs. 3 Diesel RX because one glowed for a couple of seconds and then died. The second DieselRX plug I tested worked, and then popped, spitting glowing metal at me. I'd never run a DieselRX plug in my truck. The Beru plugs clearly outperform the DieselRX plugs, they heat up faster, they glow brighter, they don't send metal flying at you or inside your engine.

I'm sure this experiment could be improved upon, however this is basically the same thing as using a manual glow plug switch. Battery type shouldn't matter, resistance is resistance and the glow plug is getting fed the same current it would from a lead acid. New plugs out of the bag obviously would be the proper way to try this.

The first is a Beru - measured .8 ohms beforehand

The second is a Diesel RX - Measured .7-.8 ohms

The above DieselRX plug popped after 10 seconds.

Second Beru plug, measured .5 ohms

The last DieselRX plug, measured .8 ohms

Very cool, thank you for sharing that