Diesel jet boat idea

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
There's a guy an hour and a half away with a jet boat sans engine, he wants a touch too much, but I keep thinking of a 6.9 turbo with a gearbox to achieve the proper output shaft speed, has anyone seen this done? A toy you can actually use! I understand big block jet boats get the same fuel economy as a 747 at take off :puke: it's 3 blasts and you're done for the day...

sassyrel

Reaction score
there were boats built,,that had 7.3 turbo idi's in them....have seen pics,and there was a guy on the other forum that had worked on them.....dont rem his name

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What kind of jet boat? My parents have a North River Jet boat. Supposidly is supposed to go through 6" of water at 40mph. It has a fuel injected small block Chevy in it.

That said, if its a boat like my parents, I would think you would want to stick to a light weight motor. An IDI weighs a lot and will hurt its performance in shallow water. Just a thought.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like ford guy said, check for size of boat vs. weight of motor...that being said, I think with the proper gearbox an IDIjet would be pretty dang cool...if the boat could handle it I think you could make some pretty decent launches and still have an acceptable GPH due to all the low end torque of the idi....the downside I see is low speed manuverability

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At plane, the difference in draft is going to be very small. When in displacement though, you could pick up a few inches. Either way, I think it would be great, but your going to have a very tough time finding either the parts to marinize an existing IDI, or finding a marinized IDI already built. Mercruiser built them, and they only had them for like 1 year, so it's a real oddball motor.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
"I abandoned the gasoline V-8 because I could not easily solve the problem of keeping the gasoline fumes from building up and causing an explosion and fire. Ventilation blowers are the common solution, but the air flow thought the engine compartment while submerged would be inadequate. I considered flooding the compartment with nitrogen, but that would require isolating it from the ambient pressure supply and considerable additional hardware. "

This is the truth right here. Gas is so dangerous. I have personally witnessed a boat blow up b/c the owner did not run the blowers.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just read as much as I could about the sub and casting aluminum... And I thought I was an outside the box thinker....Nope... This guy beats everything..... My hat is off to him for his effort...:thumbsup:

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay...we all have a sick addiction at this forum, cuz I know I am not the only one sitting here thinking "damn, it'd be cool to have an IDI truck, an IDI continental, an IDI boat/sub, and an IDI airplane"

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now see I was thinking more along the likes of a scotts ride on where you get to sit on top of a 6.9.....true redneck stuff

1992f250idi

Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online