Diesel Exhaust Fluid

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this thread but I had to goon a service call for my company about 1 am this morning, 1 of our new drivers was driving a new Freightliner Cascadia the exhaust sysem requires the DEF fluid so the driver put some in but he mistakenly put it in the fuel now that POS DD15 engine is a real mess.
So if you know anyone that has a truck that reuires the DEF fluid tell them besure not to mix it in the fuel, it will act like water in the fuel.The engine will not run at all.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
DEF is pretty corrosive too i believe. The cummins and volvo DEF problems i have worked on say that do not get DEF on like anything. If it gets in connectors they say to replace them lol. DEF sucks but hey its what gives us mechanics jobs lol.

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Not stupid drivers .....

Its' not stupid drivers .....

Its' the layout at the truck fueling stations partly to blame.

If you have been to a Pilot or Flying J or ..... and fueled
where the 18 wheelers do - there is bulk DEF fluid
dispensed out of a nozzle right at the pump island ....

If you are tired and not paying attention - easy mistake
to make .....

A lot harder when you fill using the DEF in the containers

Jim

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I hear people say frequently that DEF is corrosive. I thought it was just water and urea, which is fertilizer. Whats so corrosive about it?

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
word on the street is you can run water in the DEF tank and still gain nearly the same and it wont go into limp mode. just dont run it in the cold.... I do not know this for sure, but it is what I have heard on more then one occasion.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
no you cant run just water. They have NOX sensors before and after the scr. The def systems are very very sensitive. We work on them alot on semis. Urea is technically a solid. When you add water to it it turns into what you see in the jugs, which is like ammonia. I dont remember all the physics about it but its somthing like that. Just dont put anything in but DEF. It well eventually derate then only let you go 5mph if left like that for too long.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
like if you spill it, it turns to a crystal looking stuff. Put water on it and it goes away but volvo and cummins say its highly corrosive to certain metals like copper, aluminum, and steel i believe. On semi's anyways the whole systems are plastic, lines and all. The injector looks like stainless steel i think.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

"Urea serves an important role in the metabolism of nitrogen-containing compounds by animals and is the main nitrogen-containing substance in the ***** of mammals."

I've heard at least one nickname, likening DEF to *****. Just sayin'.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Urea is very corrosive have any of you ever seen a fertilizer spreader? They are almost all stainless and it will even corrode that eventually

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Urea is also in some foods and beverages.
Also in a lot of womens makeup.

Ever seen a girl at an older age that used to dip their face in it vs one that hardly used it, if any at all?
It's never a pretty site.