Died and won't start!

Farrier Nick

Reaction score
97 7.3
I was driving, no load, about 45mph when the truck started feeling sluggish. I got diminishing pedal response until the the truck finally died. No luck getting it started again.
No smoke while cranking, tach gets up to 300 or so (gear reduction starter). Just for diagnostics, I tried starting fluid, and it will run on that.
No visible leaks or broken wires upon brief inspection. CPS? I'm wondering about the tach movement there.
I've also had intermittent hard starts in the cold. Some mornings are great, and others take a while.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Farrier Nick

Reaction score
Well, let's just say I don't trust fuel gauges as much as I used to .I'd rather be embarrassed like this than pay for some of the other possible fixes .

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What temp?

possible fuel gelling?

pull the fuel filter and take a look.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your high-side oil pressure? Have you checked your oil lately? Running out of oil does exactly this.

Farrier Nick

Reaction score
Got the issue figured out... There was a bit of a discrepancy between my fuel gauge and the fuel level...in other words, I ran out of diesel.
I feel like an idiot, but I'm glad it's not one of the potentially expensive fixes that have been mentioned.

Big Daddy John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the issue figured out... There was a bit of a discrepancy between my fuel gauge and the fuel level...in other words, I ran out of diesel.
I feel like an idiot, but I'm glad it's not one of the potentially expensive fixes that have been mentioned.
No reason to feel like an idiot! If I’m not mistaken the fuel pickup screen is some type of rubber or plastic that literally falls apart over time. I’ve got 2 93’s and just cleaned out all my fuel tanks. Same problem in every tank so I didn’t bother replacing them. Now when I get below half a tank I start looking for fuel because I can’t go past 1/4 tank or I’ll be sitting on the side of the road!