Diagnose this knock?

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. Mine is manual. Should mine be lower or higher? I'm idling right about 600

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The reason that a truck with an automatic trans has a higher idle speed is because when you put the trans in gear, it pulls the RPMs of the engine down with the extra drag of the torque convertor and trans pump. A manual doesn't have this issue since it's either in neutral (from the trans or the clutch) or you're moving.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay first off injectors it sounds to be a bit slobbery to me as if the pop pressure is low on those injectors I pop test mine every 80k or so and adjust them via shims to 1950psi 1450psi is redline on these if pop pressure is low it advances the timing if is high it retards it. I want to point out cold start these engines rattle like crazy once warm most of it goes away another common thing is the cold timing advance unhook it on the ip when you start it cold if rattle eleviates this tells you either the cold timing advance is malfunctioning or the injectors are the cause sometimes the injection pump itself the ring inside causes iradic timing especially when cold there is a replacement for these as a upgrade but is usually used in the agricultural / commercial version of these IP's and is not something the avg person can tackle.

I always clean my injectors via ultra sonic cleaner and set the pressure to 1950psi and make sure they chirp and have a good spray pattern.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

the upgraded part is the one piece weight retainer the flex joint one partially fails and causes issues with abnormal timing events especially at idle due to its over flexing and allowing the weights to hop back and forth aka rattle this also causes the ring to get damaged / cracked over time which causes alot of crazy issues like unusual fueling amounts ( odd lope miss under load ).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online