dexcool?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
We had a 1995 Chevy blazer with dexcool in it and I never had a problem - but I know that if you accidentally mix some of the green stuff in it will turn to sludge like they are saying. Myself I think the problems come in when someone takes their cars into the quick lubes because (having managed one years ago) the kids in there will top off the coolant if they think it's low, and I believe this is where the problems arises. So if you don't mix then you will be fine at least that is my take on the situation...

Oh and also we have a 1998 Chevy Cavalier with it right now with no problems.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The dexcool issue is a real one... I've changed intake manifold gaskets on several v6 and v8 engines, so many I've lost count actually. If you are lucky you catch it in time and it doesn't etch the alluminum head... There doesn't seem to be a gasket issue on the Dmax yet, but when dexcool gets older it starts to eat at some of the silicone hoses.

The best choice is some ELC that is designed for long term use. Either that or keep the dexcool changed more frequently.

JMF350

Reaction score
I have also replaced many 6-8 cylinder intake gaskets on the GM cars and trucks. I've never associated the problem with Dex-cool.... but the poor design of the intake gasket itself. There have been ALOT of V-8 intake leaks BEFORE the switch to Dex-cool.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting:eek:

My brother and my dad BOTH had to replace the intake manifold gaskets on their Yukon Denali and Suburban respectivly at $1000 a pop. Both were 6L V-8 engines with less than 50k miles on them.

My brothers Denali intake gaskets crapped out a second time a few months later and he got pissed and traded it in for a Tundra crew cab. Said it was his last GM vehicle.

Pretty sad when my Dad is retired from GM and my sister works for them and they are the only ones in my family that will by a GM product.

I went Ford Truck 21 years ago and also have a Toyota Tacoma that my wife inherited. I've had too many problems with Chebys and my brother has Tacoma and a Tundra and is looking for an Excursion w/ 7.3 Diesel because he needs more seating than the Tundra can offer.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Dexcool has been the standard GM coolant since '95-'96 IIRC. I still haven't heard of any word on the lawsuit against them, but I do know that dexcool does contribute to some of the intake gasket issues and others related to hose decay.

I think that the biggest problem is that dexcool was/is billed as an extended change coolant when in reality it should be changed every 50K miles or so. (my personal observation) Around that millage mark it usually starts to turn a darker red color and gets some gunk in it. It seems like after that it needs flushed ASAP or damage could result.