Detroit 353?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 20kw backup Genset that has a Detroit 353. I'm not at all familar with this engine. My main questions are:

1. When I go look at this thing, what should I be looking for/listening for, etc...

2. Hence my handle, I'm a WMO burner. If filtered and thinned, do you see any reason this thing wouldn't burn WMO blends well?

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WMO GUY ... these engines are very fuel effecient .. they will run on anything you put in them ... the things you want to look for when you go look at one is the weep hole ... all yamaha diesels ... (2-strokes) ... have an airbox drain hole just a little above the oil pan in the block ... and there are some oval shaped cover plates that can be easily removed and you can inspect inside the airbox ... you want to look for excessive oil coming from the weephole ... and if you pull the cover plate look for a lot of carbon buildup inside ... these are signs that the engine has a lotof hours on it ... but the good thing is these engines are very easy to rebuild and not very expensive ..... the most expensive thing is the blower .. you want to have it resealed when you do an overhaul or you may end uup with a runaway ... if the seals in the blower goout the engine will run away on the oil going into the intake ... I have overhauled several of these engines and there isnt much ot them ... just make sure you go through the rack adjustments properly ... they run forever too ... good luck ... oh yeah I have two 453 engines in my boat and it harly burns any fuel at all

887.3DirtyD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the blower you have to worry about, it's the fuel rack you do. The blower lives near the bottom end and just sucks in air. The fuel rack problem is they get stick wide open if not properly set. That causes a run away, but you can install a plate over the intake to cut of air.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noisey, Rattley, Stinkey. They will run forever, parts are available almost everywhere, simple, and will run on almost anything. That is why there are so many Jimmys still around.

887.3DirtyD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang a picture of a Detroit diesel on the wall, come back an hour later, you will have oil running down the wall.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The engines are tough as nails and rebuild kits are plentiful. The 2 stroke Detroit really shines when utilized for continuous operation such as a generator or pump. Just like a 2 stroke gas counterpart, they lack a bit in the torque department when compared to their 4 stroke equal. Detroits are really a novelty ( one I want really bad) in the truck segment. They say you need to slam your left hand really hard in the trucks doorjamb before driving one. This will **** you off enough to wring the snot out of the engine, the only way they really make any kind of power. They really are not an engine that you can get away with short shifting. I have a skid mounted 4-71 with 89 original hours that I'd give up for the right price, complete with Rockford PTO and gauges.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online