"demountable" hubs vs standard 8 lug on Trailer

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I've been there too. Some people think that I'm strange for carring two spares in the truck for longer trips. I had two when I went the 800 or so miles down to visit Thewespaul last January. I knew that my reat engine seal leaks, so I caught a little hell (not from Wes) about carrying 4 gallons of oil with me. I only leaked one quart, but better to be sfae than sorry. especially when traveling all night long in rural, unknown country.

They think you are stange for having two spares???? They are crazy for not taking 2 spares, a spare hub (Two if the one with brakes is different.), couple sets of wheel bearings, a couple grease seals, and all the fixing's to do the job on the side fo the road!

When we used to tow the boat in Mexico we would have 3-5 flats/blow outs on the passenger side of the boat trailer each trip. Roads between cities are generally two lanes (One each direction and skinny), no shoulder, and no maintenance. With a big rig coming the opposite way in a bend in the road, he is not swinging wide, and next thing you know to avoid shrapnel between you rig and his, your trailer tire is off the pavement, in a rut, then the asphault rips the sidewall coming back on the pavement. Oddly the used tire shop radial tires we started using after our two spares where smoked seemed to hold up and trailer better than the new "trailer" tires.

Hit something in the road and there is a good chance it will take out both tires on the same side. So what is a single spare mean. Driving with your spare tire on the front axle, no tire on the back axle, and chaining up the back axle till you get to the next town and figure out a spare! While hoping you don't bend or snap the other axle!

Nothing more exciting than you completely smoking a wheel bearing in the middle of nowhere in Baja where it is 115 degrees in the shade. No Autoclub to come tow or bail you out! No Napa auto parts store in the next town to match up your wheel bearing. Just you, your buddies, your spare parts, your tools, and 5 bottles of cold water (Which barely keep you cool.) to help you from getting heat stroke while you change out races, grease wheel bearings, add a seal, put back on and cinch up.

Those folks who think IDIBronco is strange, well those folks are on the side of the road for hours waiting for someone to give one of them a ride to the next town and hope he sends someone back to tow or help. They problably don't know how to fix it or even thought to bring a chain with their spare tire!

Maybe we should all be taking 3 spares instead! But at least with 2 and some spare trailer parts you won't be stuck for a couple of days waiting for a service station to find the right part.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Felt kinda bad for the FedEx guy today.

I didn't really want to spend it but I certainly couldn't use the old ones! Yes that says load range H. Mounted on rims shipped to my house, 2 for $170.

You must be registered for see images attach

What, a little Armoral tire shine and those tires are as good as new!