Decoding door tag info.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Has anyone posted the information needed to decode the door tags? I have a 1985 manual and presume it is good for 83-86 vehicles, but there are axle, trans and other codes not listed for my 1987 parts truck (4x4, 6.9, 4 speed). Like Axle code C5. Any help is appreciated.

Yes, I did try to do a search. Came up with nothing. Does not mean it is not there, only that my search criteria were not recognized.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I went to FTE to use their online decoder, but it did not recognize the number.

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my 1987 shop manuals, in the 'Pre-Delivery' section, section and page # 50-00-68:

C5 Axle code is: DANA Limited Slip. Capacity: Over 8500. Ratio: 4.10
C9 would be the same with a Ratio of 3.55

However you should CONFIRM what the TAG on the differential states because the rear end may not be the same as the axle code on the door post sticker.

The sticker on my door post shows a C9 code but the rear end is not a DANA, it is a Sterling 10.25, Ratio 3.55.

I just now realized that in THIS 87 manual, First Edition published in July 1986 there is no specific code for a "Sterling" rear end, so probably the C5 and C9 axle codes also apply to the Sterling differential and axles. I seem to recall that the 10.25 Sterling was introduced in the latter half of the 1985 production year.

For a full reference I will upload the two pages of axle codes from the manual, for the Bronco, F-Series and E-Series.

AXLE CODES F SERIES AND BRONCO:
You must be registered for see images attach

AXLE CODES E-SERIES:
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online