DB Starters

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been throwing parts and money at hard starting problems in my '93 7.3IDI that I bought new 270K miles ago. New batteries, new injector pump, new return lines, new glow plugs but the truck continued to start hard despite being kept in a 45F degree heated garage. For $95 a DB starter changed all that. The starter motor now spins the engine much faster which makes the truck start quickly with less smoke and a better idle.
Over time the original starter motor just slowed down gradually - it worked but not nearly good enough. Diesel engines need to have a fast starter to build compression and get the fuel lit off.
I'm really impressed with the starter but am not very proud it took me this long to figure it all out.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've been running them for a few years and aside of having one quit prematurely, the rest were great.
The current one we have left, is on my sons truck and that's a retired landscaping truck that we put a DB unit in at least four years ago and it spent a couple of those years starting and stopping at least 15 times a day if not more.
I think for the price and ease of installation, you can't go wrong

rgaus

Reaction score
Not sure what 'DB' is? Is this a reduction drive starter? Replacing old style starters with reduction drive is the best thing since slice beard ;>)

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sliced Beard aka DBelectrical.com :D

Amazing price, $94.28 with free shipping from TN. If my IDI starts cranking slower and it's not batteries or cables, that will be my next underhood purchase :)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Who wants to be a guinea pig?
This guy swaps the motor from a 6.7 powerstroke starter onto a 7.3 powerstroke nose cone.
Can it be done to a IDI starter? Someone take some measurements. Lol
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk