DB Electrical starter problems

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to call them and ream them a new one. Ordered a new starter get it everything looks great. Go to change it this morning. Took me 3 hours to get the old one out, not their problem. Finally get it out and go to put the new one in and it don't fit. Where it goes in the bell housing something is up with the machining cause it will not go in. Fought with it an hour or so and it just ain't gonna work. Anyone else had this problem? I should have know I was in trouble when the box said made in China on it. So I'm 5 hrs into a 1 hr job and still got no starter on the truck.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Mine was tight going in, but if you get it just right it fits. Works fine for me.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a lot on here have had good luck with the DB Electrical starters, so I ordered one for my truck. I didn't have any issues with installation like you describe, but the starter I got had dead spots in it. Sometimes it would work, other times not. Pluued it back out and returned it to DB. The Customer service was great and thay gave me a refund. But, that doesn't restore your lost time. I bought a Powermaster 9050 starter frpm Summit Racing (made in USA, about $2250 and it has worked great. Good luck with your return.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How tight is tight? there is no way this one is going in by hand and I am scared to try and force it in with the bolts.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't even notice mine being tight. Something is wrong, you're right not to force it - it could be really hard to get it back out.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my thought. I am going to mock it up on my spare motor and see if I can tell where its off at. Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
By tight, I mean it only goes in place one certain way. Once you get the snout through the hole, you will need to **** / rotate it until it slides in place. There is an art to it I guess. I had a reman from az that was the same way. In and out should be a 45 min job.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
2200 for a starter? great day in the morning!!!!

My last starter was from there but I eventually killed it.

It should just slide right in and line up with the bolt holes. the top bolt can be a ***** but there should be no problem getting it to line up.

It sounds like something is really fishy if it doesn't go in easy. Are you sure they sent one for an idi not a PSD?

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea its the right starter the machining is just off I think. Either its not quite round or not quite centered not sure which.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
huh thats a new one but it doesnt surprise me haha. So I would demand a new starter that fits. like i said it should just slide up in there. align the bottom bolts and then spend 30 mins on the top bolt.

I tape a socket to the bolt and use about a foot of extensions to get the threads started. then torque her down.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so round 2. It goes right on my spare motor but it has no fly wheel on it which should not matter. Tried to put it back in the truck and the only way I can get it in is to clock it down so the holes don't line up. As soon as I try to line the holes up it pops out and won't go back in unless I clock it down. What am I missing? This is the hardest starter job I have ever done.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
hmm that doesnt make sense at all.

the only thing i can think of is the ring gear being a problem? It should be sucked in and not in the way when you put it on. is it possible that its sticking out and engaging the flywheel when you go to mount it?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did the old one take so long to get out? I got problem child one time in the shop(it would not crank very well) and I had to pry the starter out of it. When I got to looking at it real close, sometime before one of the starter housings had corroded, and left little chunks of aluminum/corrosion on the steel surface where the starter mounted. It was also very rusty. I had to take a screwdriver and chisel off the aluminum chunks as best I could, and then take a small drill will a wire wheel in the chuck and clean the area where the starter mounted. After that, it never cranked so fast.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
And there is nothing in the hole?

I feel like this is a simple problem but those are usually the most frustrating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online