Dana 60 Seals

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Im looking at my Jeffs bronco junkyard book and it has a good detail cut away of the Dana 60 front axle. My axle is leaking gear oil around the steering knuckle area, which makes me think the seals are bad? What seal would it be? The seal right behind the inner Wheel bearing? How is this changed? Do I have to remove anything else besides the Wheel hub, wheel bearings?

Also my flange wiggles around a bit, maybe its not torqued enough, whats the spec? That or the outer pinion bearing is bad?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the vent hose for the axle is not plugged. That can cause the seals to leak also.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
to answer the first question, to change the inner AXLE seal, you need to remove tires, brakes, spindles, axleshafts, steering linkage, and diff cover. now pull out the center chunk and use a long pumch to push the seal out. put the punch in from the ends of the tubes and push the seal into the center. now to install new ones you need to use a slide hammer to pull them into the tubes. NOT a fun job.

these are the seals you need.
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-11769-d60-inner-axle-tube-seal.html

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
The only leak if my truck is tilted to one side or the other, its not much but enough to make me want to fix it, I hate anything leaking! I just want to know if its going to be a job I can handle.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
to answer the first question, to change the inner AXLE seal, you need to remove tires, brakes, spindles, axleshafts, steering linkage, and diff cover. now pull out the center chunk and use a long pumch to push the seal out. put the punch in from the ends of the tubes and push the seal into the center. now to install new ones you need to use a slide hammer to pull them into the tubes. NOT a fun job.

these are the seals you need.
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-11769-d60-inner-axle-tube-seal.html

So I have to pretty much disassembly the whole axle? When you say remove the center chunk, your referring to the removing the ring and pinion and differential case?

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
pinion can stay in. ring and carrier(chunk) need to come out. i work on big trucks all day. took me around 3 hrs start to finish to do mine. fought for 1/2hr or so on each seal to get them in by myself. hate doing them.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
So getting the new one in is the PITA. Ive heard of people using a long pipe to push the seal in, will that work? I do have a body slide hammer.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
i tried that brad, mine didnt want to go. so a 6 ft peice of allthread, a few nuts and washers and 2 big sockets and i had a slide hammer long enough to pull them in.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It certainly takes bit of time, I used a wood dowel from the hardware store to push mine out and the new one IN.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i tried that brad, mine didnt want to go. so a 6 ft peice of allthread, a few nuts and washers and 2 big sockets and i had a slide hammer long enough to pull them in.

did these axle seals look like the one on the right?
having a hell of a time installing mine. about to use the allthread method.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like the 2 piece one that you have to grind the lip off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I just read that somewhere else too, but I got both seals in, 3rd member back in, and drivers side buttoned up... doing the pass side right now

the link shown above is expired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online