Dana 60 How to Replace Ball Joints | Spindle Bearings | Inner Axle Seals | U-Joints

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the better tutorials for this job. Nice work. I noticed the split bushing for the upper ball joint was pretty rusty. Did you pop it loose, or did it work as is? I failed to remove and clean the bushings on my axle rebuild, and it may have contributed to a loose upper ball joint after only 2 years. When I redid the ball joints I followed the 3-step torque process but still had some binding, and resulting memory steer. A few "love taps" on the upper ball joint was enough to relieve the tension. Apparently, you're supposed to be able to turn the knuckles with one finger, even with new ball joints.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the better tutorials for this job. Nice work. I noticed the split bushing for the upper ball joint was pretty rusty. Did you pop it loose, or did it work as is? I failed to remove and clean the bushings on my axle rebuild, and it may have contributed to a loose upper ball joint after only 2 years. When I redid the ball joints I followed the 3-step torque process but still had some binding, and resulting memory steer. A few "love taps" on the upper ball joint was enough to relieve the tension. Apparently, you're supposed to be able to turn the knuckles with one finger, even with new ball joints.
Thanks - good question on the split bushing. It’s working as is but I have my eye on it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
If you are not getting that upper sleeve/bushing out and cleaning it to where it moves free, the torque process means nothing.

The whole point of that upper bushing (and the torque sequence) is so that both ball joints studs are pushed all the way down in the ball joint, and that the preload isn't more on one or the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online