Damn the man (official work thread)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by idiTravelAll, Oct 6, 2017.

1. asmith

asmith Full Access Member

looks like you do good work. A lot better than i see a lot of guys doing these days. It is sad how little pride people have in their work. If you want to move to crazy, nutty California you would not be hurting for work I can tell you that. shoot I might even hire you if your works turns out as good as those pictures look.

one of the many downsides to California though is the cost of living. you think housing costs are high in AZ, the prices here will make your head spin and even then most places are going for more than asking price in days around here. In my town which is one of the cheapest in the county, 800 sqft 2 bedroom 1 bath homes built in the '40s that need alot of work bring $400,000 all day long. go to the bay area and it is even worse.
    rent is out of control too. 2 bed 1 bath apartment, no garage or anything usually run $1600 a month not including utilities.

idiTravelAll likes this.
  2. pafixitman

pafixitman Registered User

IDItravelAll....wish you were in MD. My wife could hire you.

She got laid off in June from corporate America. A year ago we started down the road of her flipping houses. My side businesses have been home improvement although I never carried a Maryland license (I was PA and GA). IN GA I did the contracting work for a corporate flipping company. Problem we have (aside from me having a day job) is finding good contractors to deal with. The last guy walked and left us holding a huge punch list (and some of his money...) The plan is to change the GC to me. I will be licensed before year end. That way I can have guys that do good work but are not legally able (licensed) fall under my number for permits. Maryland Home Improvement Commission controls everything here. Watch the movie Tin Man... details why the commission got started.

My day job is payroll. I have done both in-house and service bureau side (think ADP, Paychex etc). I currently work for a PEO as a payroll analyst. Not a bad gig and I get paid well so....

idiTravelAll likes this.
  3. idiTravelAll

idiTravelAll Full Access Member

I might have to make it out for some work hahha, a good buddy of mine in the Navy lives there and yes I'm very familiar with most states housing markets, gotta pay for those views and monstrous highways! Funny thing is those baseboards or not even caulk ed in the pics haha I'm pretty sure they're not even nailed in other than the corners but yes I am a perfectionist by nature.

4. DougsOBS

DougsOBS Full Access Member

My family owns a commercial greenhouse/nursery buisness. I run the production side and all of the maintenance. Keeps me pretty busy 11 months out of the year.

I also was buying and selling SnapOn tools for a while when the economy was bad. Thankfully I was in a position to do so, but that kept me going for about 2 years.

idiTravelAll likes this.
  5. idiTravelAll

idiTravelAll Full Access Member

That's quite a drive otherwise I would be up to it, I'll check that movie out if I get the chance. Today's my final day of real estate class pretty excited to get this over with...

6. threegenpowerstroke98

threegenpowerstroke98 Registered User

Currently in my second year of university at the university of manitoba working on my ag degree. If I'm not busy studying I'm working on the family farm. Just setup my own farm name, registered business and all. If I can get the cash together I'll be buying a combine and doing custom harvesting for the family farm and a neighbour or two. Last summer between terms I worked for the university research farm and still farmed. I seem to be a sucker for 80 hour weeks lol.

idiTravelAll likes this.