d60

Exekiel69

Reaction score
4x4 conversion on 93f350 CTD CC DRW. D60 NP205

I'm converting My 93 4x2 DRW to 4x4 DRW using a d60 for the front end. A very kind member here has answered to many of My questions with detail and now believe I'm starting to understand how this works. I start this thread to keep posting some progress pictures until I finish this project (I don't have a tc yet I'm shopping for a divorced np205 driver side drop) mean while I welcome any other member who wishes to lay some light on this thread so that others in My position can benefit from it.

Well so far I got a almost complete 95 f350 DRW d60 (turns out this is a 89 DRW KP Dana 60), comes with 4.10 open I believe (I don't know how to tell), this one is ball joint style (the other is kingpin) is has the f350 springs with the rear brackets (front are missing and I need a pair) stabilizing bar, gear box and steering linkage, all the suspension parts for the shocks and the brackets. It is missing the locking hubs (anyone know where I can get a set of cheap ones?) the front leaf spring brackets and maybe something else I just don't know bc the donor was visited by some one else before Me.

Now the 93 DRW does not have the holes already drilled on the frame which doesn't surprise Me since ford did not make them 4x4 from factory except the centurion but I won't get into that. Fact is mine doesn't have them and I will have to drill holes, anyone know of a good technique to do this? What tools do You use to drill the frame?

I will order some rancho shocks, grade 8 bolts at fastenal (if anyone know all the sizes please do tell) and the front hubs, this last I will buy stock ones if they are cheaper since I want the 4x4 to get Me out of a hole with My trailer behind Me not to go wild off road.

Any other comments as to what to do first?

I will post pics of the parts as soon as I remove the snow on top of the axle :D.

Thank You.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that most all the parts from the older dana 50 ttb from the balljoints out are the same as on the dana 60. If that's true, that would be a source for the lockout hubs and any other little pieces you need, even the dually wheel adapters if you need those.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
The spindles are the same diameter I think, but the flange is a but different...the bearings, hubs and all that stuff should be the same from a D60 to a D50. I am unsure about the ball joints and stub shafts being the same.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
use 7/16 hardware to bolt on all the bracketry, As for the front spring hangers IIRC the 92-97 2wd do not have any provisions for the front of the front spring. You will have to box the frame, make mounts or use a RSK

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have all, rotors, calipers, even the brake pads. All came from a dually so I don't need to change anything there I believe.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Nope...you should be good there with all the new parts...but some of the D50 stuff is good for parts on the D60. A good member to talk to is BigRigTech...He done the same thing you are doing here except with a SRW truck...Everything is the same except for the hubs and tire count though.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well a little update on this project and some pics to make it interesting. Here are the parts I got, I still have to get the sky's reverse shackle kit but while I wait for it I will clean up some of the parts I got. I found a np205 for cheap so I will clean it up check it inside and replace the seals if possible. I will provably do the same with the donor front end since it looks like it was leaking. I did not get the front spring bracket but the sky kit should take care of that.

Another question, where do I get the yokes that attach to the ones on the TC and the axle? I will have to make some driveshafts so I need to provide this to the shop that will make them for Me.

Any other tips always welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 25

Exekiel69

Reaction score

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of speedo cable, since EZ's truck is a '93 his speedometer and RABS both run off the rear axle VSS, but what about those of us who have the cable and another VSS in the trans tailshaft housing - would running a divorced transfer case behind such a trans cause the RABS to go nuts? Or the PCM? Cause if in 4x4 low range the signals from the two VSS' wouldn't match (the trans would read twice higher than the actual road speed), would that be an issue? Or does the PCM read only off the tailshaft VSS, and the RABS only off the rear axle VSS, so nothing intersects and all will be well?

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
no the vss in the tail shaft is the only one red by the computer the the rear vss is for the abs only and does not read with the tail shaft vss.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so everything will be working just fine and dandy, with trans shifting at the proper rpms, and RABS doing its thing, only in 4lo the truck will be actually moving at half the speed the gauge shows - good, good!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Making some progress I'm replacing all bushings and doing some ring and gear work finally. I was pulling the disc's and found a nut I didn't expect to find here so My question is where can I get the socket for this? (see picture).

I'm also intending to replace the spring bushings since the bolts are frozen inside and the guy that sold this to Me thought it was better to just cut them before pulling the entire d60 for Me :rolleyes:. Anyone have any tricks to remove frozen bolts of this nature or maybe I'll have to remove the bushings so anyone know of the tool to remove the bushings.

Thank You.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 15