Custom intake and exhaust manifolds

Jonathanbwata

Reaction score
Can i use regular steel to build headers and intake manifold

Gonna use 1/2 plate for flanges and 10 gauge 2.5 Inch tubing

Making custom intake manifold for turbo setup

Don't wanna use stainless Cuz of my expenses but imma fabricator and welder
So I always got low carbon steel laying around and after I'm done making them will post pics and if you want some I can hook you up
I don't low carbon steel will be an issue Cuz it won't Melt at a low temperature I think it's 2400 degrees or something like that I ain't sure

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you will be fine with mild steel. Bolt it to your welding table before you weld it to keep it from warping, then have it decked after welding to be sure it doesn’t leak.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can i use regular steel to build headers and intake manifold

Gonna use 1/2 plate for flanges and 10 gauge 2.5 Inch tubing

Making custom intake manifold for turbo setup

Don't wanna use stainless Cuz of my expenses but imma fabricator and welder
So I always got low carbon steel laying around and after I'm done making them will post pics and if you want some I can hook you up
I don't low carbon steel will be an issue Cuz it won't Melt at a low temperature I think it's 2400 degrees or something like that I ain't sure

Be sure to post pictures. I'm always interested in how people are doing things. Thanks

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Isn't it Idiot who is building the Manchero? It's been awhile since anything current was posted so I kind of forgot who is building it. He built custom headers that each run to the front of the engine and each one has a turbo mounted on it.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, Idiot is the one building the manchero. You can look up @freebird for flanges. He is the one who has cut them out for Brian a couple times. Jason's side business is called Terrapin Mfg. If you want to look him up online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Jason is freebird01 on here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always wondered how 460 headers might work for NA applications. Both the idi and the 460 are fairly wide engines going in the same engine compartment. I am not sure about idi oil cooler clearance though.

I would buy some cheap 460 headers, cut the head mounting flange off and weld on the idi head mounting flange. I am sure a little tube tweaking would be needed. I always wondered how close it would be to fitting up and missing everything in the engine compartment.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have been a few people in the past I've seen DIY some headers/manifolds, most just stick to basically four 90s dumping into a pipe and calling it good enough.

I would buy some cheap 460 headers, cut the head mounting flange off and weld on the idi head mounting flange. I am sure a little tube tweaking would be needed. I always wondered how close it would be to fitting up and missing everything in the engine compartment.
There could be some merit to this idea, as long as the kit you get has enough throw in it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about when you say "kit"? I was thinking about store bought headers like these

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-12560flt/overview/year/1986/make/ford/model/f-250

and flanges like these

http://www.idiperformance.com/store/p40/R&D_Header_Flanges.html

Advance Auto sells those same headers above for about $3 more. If I were seriously going to do it I would order them from my local store, and then take the headers and sit them down in after taking the original exhaust manifolds off and eyeball everything and see if it would work. If it was impossible, I would take the headers back and get my money back. I have done this before on other projects where a header was not officially offered, but I wanted to try some to see if they would work. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.