Custom goosneck hitch for older rails

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thought you guys might like this. Was thinking about buying one of those disc adapters to tow a goosneck with my fifth wheel hitch but heard nothing but bad. Luckily I have two slide in hitches so I disassembled one and used the uprights to make a goosneck hitch that slides right into the older style rails. Let me know what you think.
You must be registered for see images attach

Runningaford

Reaction score
I like it; nice welds. The only thing I'd consider adding are some gussets from the cross beam to the vertical supports.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you do find a newer set of rails, there's a GN plate option to the fiver hitch.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you do find a newer set of rails, there's a GN plate option to the fiver hitch.

Yes I.D love to have the newer rails like that as there is so many good options. Unfortunately the Lo welded these solid to the frame so I figured I might as well keep them for now. But yes it’s heavy I would like it to break down. But I have a job next week using my 40ft goosneck and I want to use my ford as its free fuel compared to the sterling

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I.D love to have the newer rails like that as there is so many good options. Unfortunately the Lo welded these solid to the frame so I figured I might as well keep them for now. But yes it’s heavy I would like it to break down. But I have a job next week using my 40ft goosneck and I want to use my ford as its free fuel compared to the sterling
I'll be honest with you, you're going to miss the power of the Dodge. But......if you're open to the idea of re-gearing your rear to 4.56 or 5.13, the deeper gear will be the equalizer of the two platforms. My F450's was 4.62 and 5.13 NON TURBO and never faltered in the hills with 15-21k gross.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or you could get a truck that is meant for what your doing and get a f-Superduty :rolleyes:

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you could get a truck that is meant for what your doing and get a f-Superduty :rolleyes:
I had a f superduty! Just way too stiff of a Truck. I love this idi as is. Rides comfortably and sprung well enough where it handles any load I hook to it. With nice ac and good suspension it’s so nice to drive. I can’t stand driving the sterling!

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with towcat on the gearing. Might even investigate a Gear Vendors overdrive, because then you gain many splits to utilize depending on load. Our older class 6 and 7 trucks were a 2-speed rear end, and for the power output of 70's gas v-8's that was the saving grace when loaded down. Gear Vendors is the same idea, and getting a heavy load motivated is easier with options.

Last edited:

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest with you, you're going to miss the power of the Dodge. But......if you're open to the idea of re-gearing your rear to 4.56 or 5.13, the deeper gear will be the equalizer of the two platforms. My F450's was 4.62 and 5.13 NON TURBO and never faltered in the hills with 15-21k gross.
I actually just found a 4:10 rearend with locker to replace my 3:55 open, that should help alot

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still found myself wanting more gear when hauling a 10k load recently. I currently have 4.10's and felt the drops was too great still.
Have you gone from 3:55 to 4:10? I’m hoping that will help out quite a bit as right now I’m at 1600rpms at 65 and I need more bottom end

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all my f250's and F350's are 4.10 trucks
3.55 is a commuter gearing.

I know, it’s been rough as my Truck is used as a work Truck and with the 3:55 it is a bit hard sometimes. I’m hoping the jump to 4:10 will be noticeable in towing improvment