Custom front bumper

Steve Olkowski

Reaction score
getting ready to have a friend fab me a bumper and would love to see some custom bumpers to get some ideas from for my 88 idi. Thanks.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phone won't let me upload for some reason... But I start out by making templates out of cardboard or that project board stuff. 3/16" mild steel plate. 1/2" or 3/4" D-Rings welded on. I drill about a 3/4" hole every 6-8inches on the front and then put a 1" piece of round stock on the inside a plug weld the ends in and grind it smooth. Then I box in the back side with the 3/16" plate and holes drilled in the same locations and also plug weld those holes. Now you've got a bumper that's extremely light for how strong it is. If the customer wants a winch on it, then I also do the round stock trick going vertically from top to bottom on the inside where the winch will sit along with making the mounts wrap around the frame rails much like a bumper pull trailer hitch does. I've also done them with lockable storage compartments for tie downs, chains, ammo, etc...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Steve Olkowski

Reaction score
Phone won't let me upload for some reason... But I start out by making templates out of cardboard or that project board stuff. 3/16" mild steel plate. 1/2" or 3/4" D-Rings welded on. I drill about a 3/4" hole every 6-8inches on the front and then put a 1" piece of round stock on the inside a plug weld the ends in and grind it smooth. Then I box in the back side with the 3/16" plate and holes drilled in the same locations and also plug weld those holes. Now you've got a bumper that's extremely light for how strong it is. If the customer wants a winch on it, then I also do the round stock trick going vertically from top to bottom on the inside where the winch will sit along with making the mounts wrap around the frame rails much like a bumper pull trailer hitch does. I've also done them with lockable storage compartments for tie downs, chains, ammo, etc...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Wow would love to se pics for sure.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bumper is made out of 10 x 8.4# "stair stringer" - basically lighter weight channel. The back of the hitch is welded to a 4 x 4 angle that stiffens things up; the winch is mounted to a sub frame (hidden behind the channel) of 1.5" square tube. I have an 8000 lb winch and a hitch on it; I work the **** out of both with no problems.

To bend the channel I notched top and bottom, lightly groove the inside to make a clean bend by hand.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Steve Olkowski

Reaction score
On the one I'm wanting is going to have a way to quick connect an aluminum surf rack and cooler holder also. Love seeing the ideas. Hoping to take all the great ideas from everyone and put them into a badass bumper.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHAT IS HAPPENING?! My phone is saying the entire folder of my work pictures is bad! It wont even let me email them... I'm gonna try plugging my phone into the computer to get them off..... Basically to give y'all a visual, I mostly get ideas from popular name brand bumpers, build them better and stronger, and sell them for less lol.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not custom but the size is a good match, I've always wanted to replace the flappy side plastics with metal and finish out the bumper the right way. Maybe it will give you ideas, it is also a winch bumper. Liscense plate covers the hole, it's design is pretty stout I got into a accident basically totalled a Honda Fit with it and not even a bend just moved back on the mounts a bit lol

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not custom but the size is a good match, I've always wanted to replace the flappy side plastics with metal and finish out the bumper the right way. Maybe it will give you ideas, it is also a winch bumper. Liscense plate covers the hole, it's design is pretty stout I got into a accident basically totalled a Honda Fit with it and not even a bend just moved back on the mounts a bit lol

The Honda Fit was a total loss brand new lol!

I've always loved the idea of hiding the winch behind the license plate. Not only does it shield it from road spray, it's also a little bit of a theft deterrent.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
winch bumper that wont fold over when you gotta use it.

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to fab up a bumper until I saw the Ford "Weld it Yourself" kit from JBFab.net. They do all the stuff I cannot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk