custom cowl hood project

loggin350

Reaction score
Well I have gotten bored with my truck lately and had the urge to make something different on it, and for cheap. Figured I would share some pics of what I got done yesterday. and it is 4.5" tall I will add pictures when I finish the body work and paint it also, let me know what you guys think.
You must be registered for see images attach

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
;Sweet lookin' good

I also like the diamond plate below your beltline

(on your truck)

loggin350

Reaction score
Thank you! yea I like to keep the truck simple I dont have any badges or anything on it its flat black with the aluminum diamond plate and my aluminum single stack being the only shiny

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
;Really:rolleyes:LOL:angel:Nice job and great idea plus good exicution. Just one question... The box under it will run into the engine just a wee bit...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks quite a bit like my hood. It is amazing how beefy they look with a cowl hood. I love mine. Its only 3" though.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I like it! All of the aftermarket cowl hoods leave off the center rib. I think the center rib adds alot to the lines of the truck. Nice Job!

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Just one question... The box under it will run into the engine just a wee bit...

Well since he didn't include truck info in his sig I can only assume he has a 36" body lift planned LOL (pretty sure that's just his 'workbench' j/k)

No seriously though, loggin what kind of air box are you making to go with the hood? Or are you just gonna use the factory air cleaner?
For that matter, is the truck turboed or N/A?

Sorry for the questions but inquiring minds want to know...

loggin350

Reaction score
haha yea that aluminum under the hood is just my workbench, as for my air intake im not sure what I want to do yet I do want to raise whatever I choose up into the raised section of the hood though. I currently have an 14" round open element filter it was the easiest thing to replace the stock one which was damaged a while back. I am thinking of making an air box that seals to the underside of the hood like the cowl and shaker hood setups on old muscle cars. The truck is N/A right now and I like it just fine like that however Im very interested in supercharging, but if i go that route it wont be for a while. my truck is my daily driver and cant have the down time but Im considering it for when i get out of the military and move back to NY. And justinray, whats the fun in buying one? haha I got this hood from a junkyard, with the hood and sheet metal I only have $80 into it and im just using spray paint (my whole truck is spray paint) i will have more pictures by tonight had to go do stuff with the wife yesterday didnt have a chance to work on it

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Whats the fun in buying one? Its a much more clock friendly route, when staying in an rv at an rv park.

loggin350

Reaction score
fair enough I see where your coming from, and I have been working on it today this was my first time ever using bondo and wow did I underestimate that job what a pain that it to work with when its about 90 out it hardened faster than i could move haha. I should be on to paint in another hour or so and then post some pics

loggin350

Reaction score
Well I finally finished it, im very pleased with how it turned out, will have to re-paint it because it was so hot the paint dried to fast out of the can but im not worried about it, visibility is reduced to the passenger side but I dont mind, let me know what you guys think of it.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I like it, despite what some think that will kill a lot of under hood temps. I also think it would look great painted to match my flatbed.:thumbsup: