Current radiator recommendations?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't found many recent threads, so I'm just wondering what the current recommendations are for IDI radiators. I don't have a visible leak on the copper/brass one that's in the truck now, but I can smell something and it's only a matter of time...

In increasing order of price, the options seem to be: Spectra, Champion, Mishimoto, Rodney Red.
The Spectra has plastic tanks, which don't seem like a great idea especially as they are just crimped over the gaskets. I've seen mixed reviews about the reliability of Champions. Mishimoto has a good name but they're nearly $400, and Rodney Red is really pricey.

Thoughts?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My all aluminum champion from ebay is still going strong after 8 + years. I remember reading about some shipping/crating problems that I didn't seem to have.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a lowly 2-core Spectra radiator, it's been in for 2 or 3 years now. It hasn't given me any trouble and it was cheap enough that I won't get angry when it eventually does, but so far I'm happy with it.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to order a Rodney Red in December, and whoever I spoke with referred me to Dubz Thermal products. Guess he was too busy to make an old Ford Radiator.

I ordered from Fran at Dubz, and should have it in the next day or two (recent snow has delayed shipping anything to Northwestern Nevada it seems). It wasn’t cheap, but he came highly recommended and seemed really great on the phone. They don’t have a website, but do have a Facebook page. Looks like they do lots of stock car radiators, so they should do fine (hopefully). I’ll post photos when it shows up.

I will likely keep my factory Radiator and have it rodded out and have the tanks cleaned and repaired, just in case. It has a tiny pinhole on the top tank but is otherwise ok physically. I did have some overheating issues, and suspect it is overdue to be cleaned out properly.

Ryan

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh goodie I'm not the only one looking... got a NAPA spectra 4+ years ago and it only had a 1 year warranty at the time(now they seem to have a lifetime warranty). But it was busy season when it started leaking and I had my first kiddo born that year, too. I forgot to get it replaced under warranty and it's just gotten worse and worse. Now it's leaking 1/2 gallon just going to work 17 miles away and back.

Subscribed!

Apparently the Champion 3 cores do a lot better longevity wise than the 4 cores, from the other thread floating around.

I've heard the plastic tank/aluminum core argument so many times its nauseating-- what's the logic? My spectra has plastic tanks but it leaks at the tube-endplate joint not the tank. But my much larger body of evidence is that here's only about a billion Toyota/Honda/Insert OEM gaaser with plastic tanks and aluminum cores but overall those work just fine and dandy all the time...

Last edited:

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big Oreilly's fan but in a pinch, I'll do what I have to do. I needed a radiator quick. I tried to get a Mishimoto Radiator but my vendors were out of stock. I tried an all Aluminum off brand from Amazon or eBay I can't remember. It looked well built except the lower mounts were not welded in the correct place. At that point, I needed a radiator fast. Oreilly #432194 Aluminum with plastic tanks.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ansfer-radiator/432194/4459217?q=432194&pos=0

Good Quality. Fair price. Lifetime warranty

Last edited:

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big Oreilly's fan but in a pinch, I'll do what I have to do. I needed a radiator quick. I tried to get a Mishimoto Radiator but my vendors were out of stock. I tried an all Aluminum off brand from Amazon or eBay I can't remember. It looked well built except the lower mounts were not welded in the correct place. At that point, I needed a radiator fast. Oreilly #432197 Aluminum with plastic tanks.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ansfer-radiator/432194/4459217?q=432194&pos=0

Good Quality. Fair price. Lifetime warranty
That's the one Towcat said he had 3 in service and all worked well after at least a year or two, I believe. Was thinking on that myself...only 2 row but with a lifetime warranty and an Orielly in most cities around me, its tempting. Doesn't list fins per inch either.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the one Towcat said he had 3 in service and all worked well after at least a year or two, I believe. Was thinking on that myself...only 2 row but with a lifetime warranty and an Orielly in most cities around me, its tempting. Doesn't list fins per inch either.

It is every bit as wide as the original even though it is a two row. What I have read on the aluminum radiators is they are more efficient than the copper and brass. In my experience as an auto mechanic, aluminum plastic outlasts a copper and brass radiator.

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard of Cold Case radiators.
I saw their booth at Cruising the Coast back in October and was impressed.
But they don't offer one for my '84 f250 6.9.....

So I'm going to check with one of my local shops that builds and rebuilds huge radiators. Ones the size of a small house, and see if they can recore my OEM rad.
I talked to one of the guys from the shop and he said shouldn't be a problem, bring it by.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to consider what coolant you are using also. That low silcate green coolant does not protect aluminum, that is what the silicate was for. And some of those cavitation additives will not work well with silcate coolant. So a lot of homework to do when changing to a aluminum radiator. I am using the Zerex G05 in mine with no problems so far.

I haven't researched it lately, but I seem to remember seeing a low silcate coolant that did protect aluminum components. They must be putting something else in it.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to consider what coolant you are using also. That low silcate green coolant does not protect aluminum, that is what the silicate was for. And some of those cavitation additives will not work well with silcate coolant. So a lot of homework to do when changing to a aluminum radiator. I am using the Zerex G05 in mine with no problems so far.

I haven't researched it lately, but I seem to remember seeing a low silcate coolant that did protect aluminum components. They must be putting something else in it.

Great point, and thankfully any modern fleet coolant will fit the bill on this, as they are pretty much all using aluminum rads and heater cores these days.
Zerex G05, Fleet Charge, Final Charge, Shell ELC, pretty much anything that says Heavy Duty and is certified by CAT Volvo Cummins, etc should do all of the above and have the SCA's to boot. Small differences between them but really it's not a lot for our purposes, IMO.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My badass radiator from Dubs Thermal Products arrived today. While I only had a few minutes to unpack and inspect it, everything looks great! It'll be a bit before it gets installed but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

You must be registered for see images attach

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dubz seems to have a Facebook page but not an immediately obvious website... what did that piece cost you?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dubz seems to have a Facebook page but not an immediately obvious website... what did that piece cost you?
Yeah, I only found the FB page too. I spoke with them directly on the phone to set everything up.

It wasn't cheap- right around $1000 which is Rodney Red territory.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online