Cummins Ramcharger conversion

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
All right, Ive been beating around the bush on this for a few months now, That's enough screwing around thinking about this project. It's time to crap or get off the pot. Yesterday 11/10/2007 I made the decision to pull the Ram out of service and get started on this conversion. I'm going to put the Cummins, Getrag360 and the 3/4 ton suspension out of my 1990 Ram D250 into my 1990 Ramcharger.
I have started a photo gallery at http://picasaweb.google.com/Ceejmo to cover this step by step.
I have also started an online document at http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcs8m5rs_05872qk This is a write up of the process.

Ezra

Reaction score
That will be one tuff machine .Cant wait to see it.;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Oh man I love the RC's - I used to have one that I built up (suspension and powerwise) a few years back and actually regret selling it. Even though it was the vehicle that got me banned from changing suspension height (Sherri banned me - I do other things to vehicles but I'm not allowed to touch the ride height ever again)....

Can't wait to see the end product...

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
Steering arms modified
3/4 ton springs installed
brake pedal and clutch pedals installed
brake booster and master cylinder from 3/4 ton installed
gauge cluster from diesel installed

Engine swap will happen next weekend.

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
11/23/2007
*I removed the D250 tub just because I wanted to. I just removed four bolts and the emergency brake cable and picked it off. It was really easy to access the transmission mount this way.
*I couldn't move the engine hoist with the weight of the Cummins and the transmission since my driveway is crushed rock. I put a piece of plywood down but the hoist wouldn't budge. So, if you can't get the engine out of the truck you must get the truck from under the engine. I had hoisted the engine up enough to clear the frame and then pulled the truck back about 10 feet. There's more than one way to skin a cat
I added i pic of the centerlink that clears the Cummins oil pan. I'll be moving these steering parts to the Ramcharger.
This morning it is pouring rain and I have no garage. That means no project work today.:( :cry:

Cummins Ramcharger Online Albumn

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
Still raining. It started raining Friday night and it's now Sunday at about noon and it hasn't stopped yet. My yard is like a lake. I've got 3 acres and the only dry spot is inside the house. It won't be dry enough here to do anything else for at least a week or two. I live in a very flat area where the rain water doesn't run off well. I think I'm going to have to load it all up on the trailer and take it to the shop to finish the job.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need to make buddies with the local towtruck driver. Hydraulic wreckers make the best engine hoists for diesels:D;Sweet Too bad I'm not in TX with a wrecker. This sounds like a fun project to be involved with:thumbsup:
One more thing, check the firewall and floorpan contours. I've been told the cummins powered bodies have those areas modified.

Last edited:

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
10/26/2007
Swapped steering wheels
Swapped centerlink and inner and outer tie rods

It dried up some but I still got wet knees.

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!.......breath in........breath out..........O.K. I'm all right now.

In case anyone is wondering, if you try to install the Cummins engine and the Getrag transmission into a 2WD Ramcharger while the the engine and tranny are still together they will not go in as a unit. Top of transmission hits the cab floor, the rear valve cover hits the firewall (because the engine is tilted way back) and the oil pan is still on top of the cross member. I either have to temporarily raise the cab about 4 inches OR separate the transmission from the engine and install them individually. I was so close to having the engine in. I could see the project being completed soon. Oh well??? I'll giver her another shot on Saturday.

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
I started off this morning with intentions of lifting the cab and installing the engine and transmission as a unit. However I discovered that in order to remove the cab mounting bolts I had to remove the seats and then remove the carpet and the cab mounting access plugs in order to get to the bolts. My D-250 bolted upwards to the cab but the Ramcharger bolts downward through the cab with a nut underneath. So, my son said "It's not that hard to take the transmission off and install it after the engine is in, Is it?" I had to agree with him. We separated the engine and transmission and installed them one at a time.

O.K.!!! The Cummins is in. It was really easy to do without the transmission attached to it. It was not so easy to put the transmission in without a transmission jack and on a rock driveway. It's still better than removing the seats and carpet.

The vacuum pump is connected, the power steering lines are connected and the throttle linkage is connected.

The Cummins fits in the Ramcharger just about the same as it did in the D-250.

With the Cummins and the G360 installed it sets pretty level. It's actually a little higher in the front now because of the 3/4 ton springs (with one coil cut off.)
I'm lovin' it!!!!

I cut the hole in floor for the shifter and the transmission is installed now. I used the crossmember from the Ramcharger's automatic. It was identical to the D-250 manual transmission crossmember and the mounting position was perfect. It bolted right up.

Today I also swapped the fuel filler necks and connected the fuel lines.

Still need to do
1 Replace front clip
2 Connect remaining electrical
3 Modify and fit driveshaft.
4 Fill with diesel
5 Put Cummins logo stickers on

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
dude.... You are so close I bet you can almost taste it can't ya...

Taste it? YES!! Actually, I cheated last night. After I was done and all cleaned up I went back out and set the battery up on the tire and hooked it up to the starter and fuel shut off solenoid and cranked up the Cummins. My eight year old son (my main assistant on this project) was inside the house and heard me fire it up. He came running out the front door like the place was on fire. He started jumpin' up and down with excitement. I know how he felt.

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
I got the clip set in place and connected most of the wiring.

Then it started raining.

It's not going to get finished today. But that's O.K. I made alot of progress this weekend. I only need a few more hours including cutting and welding the drive shaft to fit and it will be done.

Cummins Ramcharger Project

Last edited:

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
There is a Cummins RC runnin around my town, I drool everytime it rolls by. Looks bone stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online