Cummins in a 1994 Ford F350

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Hello. Most of you know me from the 6.9/7.3 IDI forums, but I have since sold my 1993 F250 4x4.

I have a near rust free 1994 Ford F350 crew cab long box 2wd that I plan on doing a 5.9 12 valve swap to.

I have a LOT of questions, so please be patient with me.

1. The swap itself is fairly straight forward. I know I need to get motor mounts, an adapter plate (ZF diesel 2wd) and a clutch, pressureplate and flywheel to make this all work. What brands do you suggest? I know about destroked and fordcummins online.

2. the wiring is pretty straight forward as well. I plan on using the ford wiring harness for the most part (oil pressure, water temp, volts, soeedo, etc.) but I plan on junking the rest of the harness and going with a MUCH simpler custom built panel. Similar to what I had in my 1993, I just found a keyed hot wire and used it to trigger a contunous duty solenoid. From there I fed power to a mini fuse panel and relay box that controlled such things as fuel shut off, glow plug controller, accessory lighting, CB radio, and whatever else I needed to make the truck get up and start. This way I know what does what and how it is wired.

3. I plan on using a 12 valve with a P7100. I want to keep the power out of the insane area of the graph, but I do want to be able to haul trailers, and get up and go when I need to. What do you suggest? a 24V head? Hotter pump? bigger injectors? intercooler (I am GOING to run one, I just need ideas) and turbo? stock 35, 40?

I am applying left right and center for camp jobs out west as we speak. I am looking at leaving at the end of the month, and heading out for the duration of the winter and spring...maybe year round. Once I get into a stable position, $$ will NOT be an object for this build.

That being said, I don't want to be stupid with my money and put $15 000 into it, but I will be brepared to spend $10 000 on the WHOLE truck. That includes a locked rearend (detroit type locket) a gooseneck or 5th wheel as well as a conventional hitch under the bumper. It needs MINOR bodywork and paint, so consider that in there as well.

A complete brake job, tires, factory 16" alcoa style rims, and whatever it MIGHT need to pass a road inspection test for Nova Scotia.

Here is what I am starting with.

The first picture is how she is sitting cuttently. I yanked the 351 W out as well as the E4OD automatic and tossed it. It was no good, so what could I do with it? right?

I think I got myself the making of a nice family rig, I just need to put my head down and save the cash right now.

But if you guys chould lead me on the straight and narrow as to what I need, I can start picking away at that list.

Also, a nice Oilburners.net logo is needed for the final paint....and creative artsy guys out there want their logo on the truck promoting this site? I'd be happy to fly the colors!
You must be registered for see images attach

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Subscribed!

For some reason, Red Crew Cab Cummins Powered trucks are close to my heart,...

Just a few thoughts to throw out:

The Ford Gasser Fuel System can be completely removed, All you need is to have a line from the tank to the motor, and a return. That will eliminate a bunch on unnecessary electric pumps, lines and wiring.

On Droopy's conversion, (it was a gasser) I removed the front tank electric pump, left the back one in, plumbed it to the filler neck on the front. and now I just use the rear tank as a transfer tank to the front one.

As far as Mounts and Adapters, there have been so many of these swaps done if you are able to spend some time looking on Craigslist and Ebay you can pick the stuff up used. Also keep an eye out on 4btswaps.com There tends to be a lot of swap parts for sale there.

For Power, I would think a 24V Head would be unnecessary overkill, Just to the P ump Mods, a good set of injectors, turbo and a PSD Intercooler.

For Tranny, I like the ZF5, but IF you find a Doner Doge with the motor and Getrag 5sp attached to it, you could just adapt that to the truck. But I think the ZF5 is a better trans.

My .02 for now,..Keep us posted.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
24v heads seem to drop valve seats and have valve train issues. i would take a 12v over a 24v any day.

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
sdx injectors 5x12 or 5x14 gives you a little room to grow
hx 35 is good for 400rwhp +
you can get a s300 series turbo for under a grand now a days depending on exact size
normal pump mods and tuning and little larger injectors you would be good for 400 rwhp and still be able to keep mechanical lift pump and save money that way
also since your already gonna be buying a 12v i'd run a dodge intercooler easier to find parts for and overall cheaper to use imo

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a dodge intercooler and radiator out of the 97 I pulled my 12v out of that I don't need.
I'm using the idi rad and psd I/c

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also since your already gonna be buying a 12v i'd run a dodge intercooler easier to find parts for and overall cheaper to use imo
Just curious, is there any advantage to the Dodge intercooler over the PSD intercooler, or is that just so you can use Dodge piping and not have to fabricate your own?

Also, a more general question...Destroked doesn't sell engine mounts for OBS trucks, and I've heard that fordcummins.com's mounts are not of the best quality. Who else makes mounts for OBS trucks, and does anyone have any thoughts in terms of quality from the various suppliers?

Just something I've always been curious about... :angel:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, is there any advantage to the Dodge intercooler over the PSD intercooler, or is that just so you can use Dodge piping and not have to fabricate your own?

Also, a more general question...Destroked doesn't sell engine mounts for OBS trucks, and I've heard that fordcummins.com's mounts are not of the best quality. Who else makes mounts for OBS trucks, and does anyone have any thoughts in terms of quality from the various suppliers?

Just something I've always been curious about... :angel:
look here.....

http://www.cumminsdieselrepowers.com/Motor_Mounts.html

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
94-97 12v with G56.

G56 will require new driveshafts, and a new transmission mount for sure, but they are solid trannys.

There are mounts available that bolt right in to the frame without any drilling, allowing you to drop a cummins in.

If the truck you are swapping into already is a diesel, you can reuse a lot of the factory Ford parts, like glowplug controller (hooking it up to the intake grid heater), and IIRC most of the sensors from a Ford IDI diesel will bolt into a Cummins, possibly needing some adapters, but that will save having to make a custom wiring harness.

Personally, I would get a donor truck, they aren't terribly expensive, and would save alot of time looking for parts.

adamg

Reaction score

i just completed this swap on my 95 f350, i will get some pics and do a brief write up tmrw night. this is the only one i have atm

i just used all the dodge parts from a 94...ill get a build thread going soon. fordcummins mounts not the best but very easy to duplicate once you see them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online