Cummins 4BT conversions

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanx to guys on this board I've been able to one, discover this motor which two, enabled me to research it further.
So far I've found out that Frito Lay did some diesel conversions to there P30 vans in the 80s and that some guys are bolting them into there Toyota 'cruisers. I took the info learned here and asked the cruiser guys on POR what they knew about the topic they gave me a few links:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5366596#post5366596
Here's an interesting article from Proffits Conversions:
http://www.proffittscruisers.com/diesel/cummins/index.html
Here's a list of some guys specs with the 4BT
http://www.tdr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128571
So far I've found that they come bolted to the NV4500, the T19 (yeah I know, ***?), and the Chevy 400.
Could anyone that's an actual POR member do a search for me. (it seems they've removed the search function from us mere mortals) and see if there is any more stuff on the cummins 4bt? (what does 4BT stand for?)
I know this is thinking outside the box but it's cool as hell IMO. One guy is claiming up to 30mpg runnin' 38s!
Once again any and all help is appreciated. The topic interests me so I'll keep you all up to date with what I find out as well.

StingrayCrazy

Registered Nut
Reaction score
BigNorm said:
(it seems they've removed the search function from us mere mortals) and see if there is any more stuff on the cummins 4bt? (what does 4BT stand for?)

Hello all, new to the forum. I also found it very hard to do a search for 4BT on this forum. Must be a too few letters issue... 4BT stands for Cummins 4 Cly "b" series turbocharged and also known as 4BTA for aftercooled or intercooled. I'm in the process of collecting parts for my 93 GMC 4BTA conversion. I've even got my wife onboard with it... ;Sweet (Saving on fuel costs) LOL

Last edited:

rubberfish

Reaction score
StingrayCrazy said:
I'm in the process of collecting parts for my 93 GMC 4BTA conversion. I've even got my wife onboard with it... ;Sweet (Saving on fuel costs) LOL
What are you planning on putting this into?
A compact or full size pu?

StingrayCrazy

Registered Nut
Reaction score
rubberfish said:
What are you planning on putting this into?
A compact or full size pu?

Rubberfish, the 4BTA is going into a 93 GMC 3500 4X4 Crew Cab Dually. I've got a good solid truck with no rust so I don't mind throwing some money at this project. I'm not looking for a tire smoking banshee just a combination that will make more power than my 6.5L holding up under high boost and give great mileage while cruising. modest plan of about 300 HP, custom aluminum radiator, air to water intercooler, upgraded turbo, injectors, 3200 GS and fuel pin for starters. My buddy Marty at www.ircfabrication.com will supply the radiator and IC to my spec and the rest of the fab work will be done in my garage. I will post pics during the build. I think I’m going to have fun... :Sly

BTW, thats a nice looking truck you got there... I hope you dont mind if I pick your brain from time to time...
Frank

Last edited:

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wanting to put one in my FS Bronco. Speed and towing is not an issue with this rig. Getting some fuel economy would be nice.
You must be registered for see images

rubberfish

Reaction score
StingrayCrazy said:
BTW, thats a nice looking truck you got there... I hope you dont mind if I pick your brain from time to time...
Frank
Thank you, and no problem.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Hey guys, what's the status on your conversions? Looking at putting a 4BT in an ex. cab S-10.