Cruise Control

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried searching a bit but most of what I found pertained to using factory cruise, mostly in PSD trucks, which is easy. My truck has a 7.3 NA IDI and I was wondering what the easiest route to cruise control would be. What parts would I need to gather to implement a factory cruise control? Has anyone tried an aftermarket system? It seems like it might be easier with a kit that has all the parts needed, but not sure how it is to install in practice.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year truck are we talking about here? 92.5-94 is a bolt in deal, 92.5 and lower used the vacuum cruise control which can easily be adapted to the newer electronic cruise.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94 is all prewired for cruise, you just need to get the cruise module and a cruise steering wheel and the brake pressure switch.

The cruise module can be from any truck, they all seem to work the same though there is a unique part number for each engine and probably small programming changes too. The brake pressure switch is the redundant brake signal for the cruise, it’s usually either threaded into a hole in the master cylinder or on a tee on the frame rail below the master cylinder.

I got an adapter that goes between the front brake line and master cylinder that allowed me to put the sensor into the brake system without replacing the master cylinder or cutting up brake lines to put in the frame rail tee.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By cruise module I assume you mean the servo box/cable? I will have to look and see if there's an empty plug near where that goes. I believe it's supposed to be mounted to the driver's side fender near the brake booster?

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A question on the steering wheel, will I need an entire column? I know my wheel has brushes, will the cruise control version require a clockspring?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just need the steering wheel, the brushes are the same and no clock spring.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need a whole wheel or just the version of the center horn part with the buttons?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think just the center part but I’m not 100% sure on that

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we will find out. I found just the horn part for sale but wasn’t able to get the wheel. One of the yard guys told me they tend to go with steering columns and that may be why they were hard to find. I’m going to get just the horn piece and give it a shot. Worst case I end up with a spare one.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
94 is all prewired for cruise, you just need to get the cruise module and a cruise steering wheel and the brake pressure switch.

The cruise module can be from any truck, they all seem to work the same though there is a unique part number for each engine and probably small programming changes too. The brake pressure switch is the redundant brake signal for the cruise, it’s usually either threaded into a hole in the master cylinder or on a tee on the frame rail below the master cylinder.

I got an adapter that goes between the front brake line and master cylinder that allowed me to put the sensor into the brake system without replacing the master cylinder or cutting up brake lines to put in the frame rail tee.

Every cruise control I've had, also had a switch on the clutch pedal.
One day while forgetting the cruise control was on, I slide the transmission to neutral without using the clutch pedal, the cruise control responded by quickly red-lining the engine.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine already has a clutch switch. I had to add the heim joint to the clutch MC pushrod, so I definitely know it's there. I should have most of what I need by the end of the week. If the weather improves and I have time I might try to put it in this weekend.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone wondering, it looks like you just need the horn of with cruise, servo box and cable, the brake pressure deactivation switch, and probably a master cylinder. My MC lacks the port for the brake pressure switch, so I plugged it in electrically and tied it off just to test things out.

Everything works as it should. I have to do some rear brake work in the spring, so I will replace the MC then. That way I only need to bleed everything once.

Big thanks to ifrythings for the help!

Last edited:

RetiringColt

Reaction score
I vegly remember performing this recall way back when I worked at the stealership. But if you get used parts for your masters cylinder be sure to keep an eye out for leaks at the pressure switch.
You must be registered for see images attach