Cruise Control Question

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cruise on my 90 crew cab works but has a weird problem, maybe two. For one thing, the "off" button does nothing no matter how hard you press the button. I'm not sure if the wire isn't hooked up on the button end or on where its going to and I'm not sure where that is even so any help there would be cool.

Secondly my vacuum dump on the brakes is goofy, if I'm cruising at 65 and brake to 55 and let off the brake the truck floors it back to 65 unless I "double tap" the brakes and then it will dump the vacuum for the cruise and actually shut off. Not sure if there is any adjustment here.

I don't need to fix both if one is a significant pain over the other, I don't use this super often but it's nice on our drive to camp and I don't like having to double tap the brakes being the only way to shut it off.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Secondly my vacuum dump on the brakes is goofy, if I'm cruising at 65 and brake to 55 and let off the brake the truck floors it back to 65 unless I "double tap" the brakes and then it will dump the vacuum for the cruise and actually shut off. Not sure if there is any adjustment here

For what it's worth, mine is the same. Very irritating. I'll be following.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s an automatic I would find the jumper harness for the clutch interlock switch. The two light green wires have to be connected for the cruise to work. If you wire them through a normally closed momentary switch, you will create a cruise control cancel feature. It will kick the cruise off when you tap the button, but still be able to resume to the same speed.

My truck is a manual, but getting the cruise to cancel with the brakes is ridiculous. I’ve not tried double tapping, but it takes well over a second of braking before it does what it’s supposed to. My clutch switch is hooked up though, and if I just barely touch the clutch pedal, the cruise kicks off, so I just do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is like this too. If I drive my other truck for a while I get used to the higher sensitivity. There I just gently apply the brakes like normal and the cruise shuts off. If I do that in the F250 it doesn't shut off right away and the cruise actually starts compensating for the brake drag before letting go rather abruptly. If I whack the pedal good with my foot it usually disengages the cruise without jarring the truck. I do like the cancel button idea and will have to try out using the clutch to disengage.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I had to do was take apart the switch. When you split the case of the switch, you'll see there are curved metal bands under the button that act as springs/electrical contact. I used a tiny screwdriver to pry up the band to give it a good curve and have never had a problem since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online