Cruise Control Cable Questions

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cruise control cable went t/u on the IDIT (IP end disappeared).

I seem to be getting conflicting info. on the correct part #. Some say w/ turbo, some n/a only and some sites have the same part number for the throttle cable & cruise cable??
All of them are discontinued but I'd like the part number so maybe I can cross-reference.

A pic of what the IP end is supposed to look like (on the IDIT) would be helpful. Then maybe I could "improve" a universal cable.

Thank you for your input / help.

Kizer

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'll bet that the cruise control cable is the same between the Turbo and N/A. The ends should be the same as well.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll bet that the cruise control cable is the same between the Turbo and N/A. The ends should be the same as well.
Thank you.

I thought that they may be routed differently (different lengths).??

I'm still not clear on what the cable is supposed to look like on the IP end.
I don't understand where / how it should terminate at (or with?) the throttle cable.

Kizer

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still not clear on what the cable is supposed to look like on the IP end.
I don't understand where / how it should terminate at (or with?) the throttle cable

I don't have any pictures handy, but it clips over the end of the throttle cable. Kind of a U shaped clip holds it right on the end piece that mounts to the IP

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Google to the rescue. This is it.

This one is not clipped on, just next to the cable.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Mine isn't clipped either. It's not attached to the mounting bracket in this picture because I usually leave it laying beside the throttle cable, unhooked. The cruise doesn't work anyway.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    369 KB · Views: 12

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you!
I swear that I searched 6 ways to Sunday before I asked y'all.?

No trouble at all. I believe you, it's frustrating looking for hours and finding nothing. I've done it many times!

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this in the valley pan!

It isn't a cable (surprise), its a vacuum line.

I can hear a ball / valve rolling around in there.
Is there a grommet / gasket that is supposed to be here? :

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Be careful with cable driven cruise control. They can be quite dangerous if something goes wrong. Back in the mid 90s, my mom's doctor almost died in a wreck from her car's cruise control "sticking" on. I bet the cable got caught up somehow and kept the throttle open. I'm guessing the doc didn't know to throw it in neutral to disconnect the transmission. Yeah it might risk blowing the engine on some vehicles, but better the engine die than you.

My F250 IDI's cruise is wonky to begin with, but the last time I tried to use it, it made the main throttle cable jump out from the bracket, making is so I didn't have full throttle while on the highway. Thankfully I had just enough to keep me around 45-50 in a 65 zone, so I wasn't going THAT slow. I pulled over as soon as I saw a driveway (a closed down gas station) and fixed it by putting the plastic bit back in the bracket. I never tried using it again after that.

I have the vacuum lines disconnected from the cruise control on my RV to avoid it accidentally being turned on. I just don't trust cable driven cruise control very much, especially on 30+ year old vehicles.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I found this in the valley pan!

It isn't a cable (surprise), its a vacuum line.

I can hear a ball / valve rolling around in there.
Is there a grommet / gasket that is supposed to be here? :

That's for the cruise control cable. It clamps onto the throttle cable and forces it to move.

Video showing throttle being moved by hand (ignore the video title). I was half blindly reaching for it on my RV's van chassis mounted engine, hence why I kept missing it at first LOL

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Screenshot from it:

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
This got me curious. I've never liked cruise control on any vehicle, and never used it on my truck. Maybe I'm a control freak, don't like giving up that bit of control. That being said, mine is there, clipped on where it should be. Picture to follow.

Attachments

• DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 6

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never liked cruise control

I hear you sir. I use it to re-arrange the boxers or get a better purchase on the throttle pedal (work boots).

Occasionally, I'll use it when I'm on the road alone, but overall I agree with you.

Mostly, it's about maintaining the truck. I like everything to work as scheduled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online