Cracked T19 belhousing and popping out of first...ZF5 or fix?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Where are you finding these trucks? Just local junkyards or online?
One was CL (trans only) the other was a different local ad (core Idi + ZF) Buddy got a whole ZF diesel truck for a song because it was high-mile and rusty.

I think we got many more stick-shift trucks up here. Maybe it was the logging and fleet use. Back around 97-01 I worked at a shop that rebuilt used (ford) trucks. Sold some to the US... but only autos would sell stateside - no demand for stick. :dunno

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If only they had a cast iron diesel bell housing for the T19. Probably would never have a problem.
Is the bellhousing for a 460/4speed combination cast iron? If it is, why could you not find a 460 4 speed bellhousing, and drill it for the diesel application? People do it all the time with the zf.

All you have to do is unbolt the bellhousing adapter off the back of the diesel engine, and lay it on the 460 bellhousing to use as a drill guide. The top two holes line up so you can bolt it down with those, and then just drill the other ones.

I have never done this before, but if it works for the zf why not the cast iron 4 speed bellhousing?

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the bellhousing for a 460/4speed combination cast iron? If it is, why could you not find a 460 4 speed bellhousing, and drill it for the diesel application? People do it all the time with the zf.

All you have to do is unbolt the bellhousing adapter off the back of the diesel engine, and lay it on the 460 bellhousing to use as a drill guide. The top two holes line up so you can bolt it down with those, and then just drill the other ones.

I have never done this before, but if it works for the zf why not the cast iron 4 speed bellhousing?
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I believe they are cast iron on some older 460 manual trucks. I would feel way better drilling new holes in a cast iron one than aluminum. I actually used to have one of those belhousings and sold it with a 460 I had. They are definitely WAY heavier but that's what you'd want in a diesel application if all the aluminum stuff is cracking.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That cast iron 460 bellhousing idea would work if it was set up for a hydraulic clutch. I know that some, or all, of the older ones were cable only.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Yes, I have an iron bellhousing from either a 351M, 400 or 460... Not sure the year. It is for mechanical linkage though.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that's what you're going to find on the cast iron bellhousings, mechanical linkages.
I agree. That's why I mentioned it above. I may be wrong, but I don't think that hydraulic clutches started coming out in Ford trucks until the 80's. By then, the bellhousings seemed to all be aluminum. This is why your steel bracket for reinforcement was a good idea.

Prospect62

Reaction score
I think the issue truly is wear and tear and the lack of lube on the throw out bearing as well as the pivot ball. Once it's starts getting dry and hard to push it transfers all that hydraulic pressure to the pivot.
Is there some form of preventative maintenance to keep the TO bearing nice and lubed up that doesn't require disassembling the trans from the engine? I would guess spraying some kind of spray lube in there wouldn't help for very long. But I agree, this is probably a big contributor that is causing these bellhousings to crack more and more.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there some form of preventative maintenance to keep the TO bearing nice and lubed up that doesn't require disassembling the trans from the engine? I would guess spraying some kind of spray lube in there wouldn't help for very long. But I agree, this is probably a big contributor that is causing these bellhousings to crack more and more.
I have one in my Jeep but a greasable throwout bearing would be a huge upgrade. Also having the rubber clutch fork boot keeping dirt and grime out of the behousing area. I'm not sure if the throwout on mine has a grease port but I did smire some grease on the pivot ball to do "something". If you have the driveshaft out you get more room to look into the belhousing and look. I did pull the access cover off the bottom but it's not much good other than checking flywheel teeth/pressure plate bolt torque/and visual clutch disk thickness. Definitely makes more noise under the vehicle with that access cover off. I'm going to attempt and look in the belhousing with my camera. Maybe see if it's possible to wipe with a brake cleaned rag and rub some grease on the trans input bearing retainer.

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think? How much is it going to cost to get a ZF5 into my truck in 2022? I found one is CA that about 800 but not sure if it's a gas or diesel version. Should I just make a support bracket and keep on truckin with the T19? Clutch still works...for now but i'm sure it's going to snap off soon. Funds are tight and I don't mind the swap itself but not sure I want to blow $1500 minimum on swapping to a 5 speed in a 4x4. I'll upload some pics so you guys can seen the damage.
If your in az i think i may have an extra t-19 bell. And have a 2wd t-19 didnt see if you were 2x4 or not

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your in az i think i may have an extra t-19 bell. And have a 2wd t-19 didnt see if you were 2x4 or not
I live in Havasu. If you're willing to part ways with it I could definitely use it. Mine is still holding but not sure how much longer it will. Also my Ferd is a 4x4

Last edited:

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrenchwhore shoot me a message we can work something out. Im in show low but drive through havasue weekly or more in the semi.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like reinforcing the T19 before it cracks could be good preventative maintenance. Sounds like I might need to make another bracket. I think welding a broken one and than reinforcing it would be a good idea.

Has anyone consider reinforcing it with aluminum? Instead of a steel bracket just weld on some aluminum? Or is it impossible to get at? I can use a push pull gun no spool gun needed so that could help.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like reinforcing the T19 before it cracks could be good preventative maintenance. Sounds like I might need to make another bracket. I think welding a broken one and than reinforcing it would be a good idea.

Has anyone consider reinforcing it with aluminum? Instead of a steel bracket just weld on some aluminum? Or is it impossible to get at? I can use a push pull gun no spool gun needed so that could help.
I think it's a great idea to consider starting reinforcing T19s. The cracked bell housing issue has popped up 1 to many times on here.

Aluminum sounds fine, I'd be concerned about affecting the temper. Maybe? And us good ole' boys that mess with this stuff are probably more prone to have junk steel laying around to invent stuff with.