Correct way to install injector line clamps on 7.3

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94 7.3l. When I bought it the PO had installed new pump and injectors at some point but didn't put the clamps back on the lines cuz reasons. What's the proper way to put them back on? I looked in my shop manual but didn't find the answer. I'm assuming crack the lines at the injectors so there's some give, install the clamps and then tighten the lines back down?

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clamps on the return lines? If so, I would probably pull the lines and pop the caps off with them all connected and then do it on the bench. Others might do it on the car - more than one way to skin a cat. You could try it on the truck and if it doesn't go smoothly, then pull injector lines and the the caps.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's talking about the rubber lined anti vibration clamps.

I just put mine on, my lines were close enough that with a small amount of finagling they fit decent. I didn't bother loosening them or anything.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, clamps on the metal injector lines, not the return lines.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he's talking about the rubber lined anti vibration clamps.

I just put mine on, my lines were close enough that with a small amount of finagling they fit decent. I didn't bother loosening them or anything.
Yeah those. Mine are not close together, I think they've been run for awhile and have vibrated enough that they are no longer side by side but separated by about 4mm or so and are not on the same plane.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use a small flat head to separate them into each channel in the rubber clamp, and use a small C clamp or vice grip to clamp it together while you put the bolt and nut on, if you try to use the bolt to tighten it together you’re gonna have a hard time.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a small flat head to separate them into each channel in the rubber clamp, and use a small C clamp or vice grip to clamp it together while you put the bolt and nut on, if you try to use the bolt to tighten it together you’re gonna have a hard time.
Ah ok cool, thanks for the info. So I don't need to loosen the lines up? Afraid of damaging the fitting.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, just be gentle and youll be fine. You want it to clamp the lines in the position its in on the injectors, otherwise its easy to get cross threaded.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also a prescribed way to attach them, a guide as to where they go.

You must be registered for see images attach
Awesome thanks for the diagram. PO had sanded down the lines so there were no clamp marks and I was going off of Google images.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now you tell me! BAHAHAHA LOL

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a huge favor and weld the nut to one of the clamp halves. Then you don't need frigging triple jointed fingers, a magnetic pick up tool, too many beers and a hangover to put them back on.:cheers: