Correct power steering fluid for 1988?

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I don't have an owner's manual or a complete service manual - can somebody tell me what the correct P.S. fluid is for my 88? Ford spec number?

Thanks!

Jim

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About any ATF will be fine, not critical like putting it in a tranny that is designed for specific friction modifiers for the clutch packs, bands or even syncros (in a manual tranny) to work properly and live longer. The PS pump is just a hydraulic pump.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, you should be able to run about anything "hydraulic oil" in nature, the power steering system is not very complex at all.

I had a buddy with an old Caddy that had a "bad" power steering leak and they were buying those tiny bottles of PS fluid.... yech!

I've started buying my oil in 4 gallon cases, Lucas hydraulic stop leak (same thing as the PS and trans stop leak that they sell at Autozone just in bigger jugs). My truck leaks a little where ever there is a connection. And there's a lot of connections!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Type F is the recommended PS fluid in just about all Fords. It was even true for my 99' Ranger (RIP).

sassyrel

Reaction score
and if you want the gearbox and pump to last longer--drain out all the atf--and replace it with power steerinng fluid from napa or others--its thicker than atf---more visocity--

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck