Correct IDI thermostat#..............

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Regular parts houses DO NOT CARRY the correct t/stat for the IDI........ no matter what that baggy shorts wearing, ricer boy ****** behind the counter says!

Navistar/Fleetrite # 1807974C94 IS the correct t/stat and is available Navistar truck dealers.

When you change out yours make sure the little ball in the t/stat hsg is free....
this helps purge the cooling system of air.

I'm still old school....I loosen the higest heater hose while the eng is idling and bleed the system that way.

Hope this helps..............
GEO

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
George,

actually you can now/finally get the correct thermostat at your local auto parts store you just need to ask for a

Stant 14399

gasket part number is

Fel-Pro 35270

This information was provided to me by Jim Williams and knowing Jim it's correct. He said he paid $22 for it at Advance Auto so it's more expensive than the $5 ones that they also list as fitting - which we all know won't work.

Jim is quite the scrounger when it comes to sniffing out cheaper parts that are direct replacements.

Last edited:

suv7734

Reaction score
As said make sure that check ball is free to move or you'll be there for a long time getting the air out. Another way to help with the bleed is to put an Aspirin (yes Aspirin!) in the t'stat. Quit laughing! If you take the 'stat before you install it and carefully push it open, slide an Aspirin tablet (two work better in some cases) in the opening and slowly let it back the tablet will hold the 'stat open while you install it. Now this will allow you to purge the air a lot easier and the system will fill that much quicker. Once the system is full the Aspirin will dissolve and the 'stat will function normally. I'm not sure if Ibuprophen works as well but...

Bruce

Last edited:

aaklingler

Reaction score
Found that Napa has a thermostat that looks like it will work. the part number is 385-190. It has a rubber ring around the outside flange that has to be removed for Ford diesel applications. The guys at the parts store supply for alot of farmers in the area with Ford trucks and have had no problems reported.

I know looks can be decieving but they physically look alike. This one is a 190 degree and has the rubber band around the housing as well. I asked the guys at Napa about it being an IH or Ford part only and they replied something to the sort that they carried these because they have a big enough demand in the area for them. I questioned them on this when they said that the rubber ring around the flange had to be removed for Ford apps. The manager there said that that they have had none returned and not had any complaints that they would not work!

This was done by a guy named ron and goes by Diesel_Dog_Catcher on ...

He hasn't had it in long, so he doesn't know first hand yet if it works.

suv7734

Reaction score
Thanks GOE :thanks: :shake: :cheers: :Thumbs Up back at'cha ( too many cool things here to play with!)

Bruce

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
George,

Don't feel bad... I did not learn of it until after I got rid of my IDI... Which we all know was not long ago.. I have been using Ford or IH tstats for a long long time - well except those two times (once during the overheating session ran a lower temp tstat which did work by the way at keeping her cooler during the summer but flat SUCKED in the winter). That stat looked like a gasser stat, picked it up from MS Tech when I got the modified fan clutch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88