Core support swappout

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so my radiator seems To have taken a turn for the worst finally it's been seeping for some time now but was hoping to make it till tax time. So I have the wide radiator and it's seems to be cheaper to just find a used core support and buy a used radiator and or a aluminium one then to buy a new wide one. My question being how hard of a job is it to swap out my core support? I have no ac so not having to mess with that mess if I go through with it. Hoping it's just a bunch of nuts and bolts and a days work?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not hard at all. as long as you don't have rusty bolts, it's a drop-in.
see pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm 98% rust free anyway lol since I still haven't put my intercooler in I might as well go for it all and do the radiator and core support swap at the same time

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I cover the ATS intake snail with my hand, expecting the engine to sputter only to have it run fine. Intake manifold leak?!?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who's got a core support and radiator laying around in Oregon?? Payday isnt till 5th next month and my radiator is leaking everywhere!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you may have some Bars Leak in your near future :)

One thing you could try is if you can find the tubes that are leaking, you can try to blank them out. I've done this many times on a gasser, don't know if it can be done on an IDI but it's worth a shot. Using a map or propane torch, heat up the tube(s) that are leaking and with a pair of needle nose pliers, pull them out of each tank. Now solder the hole shut on each side, thus eliminating this tube from your radiator. Again, I've never done it on an IDI, but I've done this operation many times on a gasser radiator back in my salty Midwestern youth. It's dicey, but it might get you to your next paycheck.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I torch some solder onto it for a couple week repair?? lol I'm on the search for a core support and radiator. Support has possibly been found for 75$ just locating a radiator now . Salvage yard kept telling me they have 0 for my truck because it's a non ac truck. I tried to explain what I was doing then I decided to say well I hve another truck and it has ac and a 31 inch radiator and 7.3 and auto f250 and then they had like 5 available suddenly. They are all basically the same right?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I torch some solder onto it for a couple week repair?? lol I'm on the search for a core support and radiator. Support has possibly been found for 75$ just locating a radiator now . Salvage yard kept telling me they have 0 for my truck because it's a non ac truck. I tried to explain what I was doing then I decided to say well I hve another truck and it has ac and a 31 inch radiator and 7.3 and auto f250 and then they had like 5 available suddenly. They are all basically the same right?
the supports are a drop-in swap.
i have supports down here :D