COOLANT TRAVEL QUESTION

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that this is probably a juvenile question; but, does the coolant flow from the engine, through the top hose, into the radiator to be pushed back into the engine through the bottom hose??

Or, does it enter the radiator through the bottom hose to be pushed up and back into the engine through the top hose??

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
umm...
i knew this back when i re-did the cooling system.
i think it was Pete that had a diagram in his gallery... yep. thank The Great Pete
(i wonder if he lurks around in the shadows of our little basement?)

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
(i wonder if he lurks around in the shadows of our little basement?)[/SIZE]

He does. Peter the great has sent me an email or two on some questions I have posted here. ;Sweet

ramon f350

Reaction score
well I wish he would just speak out over here between him and Mel we would have more knowledge over here than most diesel techs that work at the stealerships

Ramon

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! I can't take credit for much. It is the sum of all our knowlege which makes us great. I've tried to get Pete to come over, but he feels he is still performing a much needed function on TDS, which he is. If he is reading posts here, and responding behind the sceans, that's great. I should probably add the coolant flow diagram to my Moose Truck album Tech folder, as that is one we do get questions on occasionally. The way I remember how it works, is that the heater hose that comes off of the passenger side head is presurized. So it follows to think that the upper radiator hose is presurized also. Heat rises, so in order to shed the most heat, the water has to flow from top to bottom in the rad, otherwise it would follow the rising heat and not shed it as well. These radiators work so well, I've actually had situations where I've seen 190 degree water going in the top, and have water coming out the bottom that is cold. This of course, before heat saturation could set in.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
ramon f350 said:
well I wish he would just speak out over here between him and Mel we would have more knowledge over here than most diesel techs that work at the stealerships

Ramon
Hey, I work at a dealership. I try to steal as little as possible from the customers. :angel: Now, taking from the dealership, that another story. :draw Paybacks, you know.. :backoff :backoff
John

ramon f350

Reaction score
John,
I did not mean any disrespect to you I do know what you mean about getting even with them.

Ramon

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple way to figure it is that the water comes out of the engine whereever the thermostat is. The hot water opens the thermostat, and doesn't start closing until the entire block is full of cooler water.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online