1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant leak on the dirty pearl

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Oledirtypearl86, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Oledirtypearl86

Oledirtypearl86 Full Access Member

So I haven't had a chance to dig in yet but I walked by the truck today and noticed a puddle of coolant under the truck I took a quick second and crawled under to look and seen it was running off the front crank pulley so I assume waterpump does anyone have a good brand they can recommend if not I'll throw a spare I have on it also ts the fan clutch left hand threads

2. DrCharles

DrCharles Full Access Member

It's left hand thread on my '93... in fact the fan shroud has big letters molded into the top, "FAN CLUTCH IS LEFT HAND THREAD" :)

3. Oledirtypearl86

Lol iv never noticed that I should learn to read some day

4. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

All idi water pumps are left hand thread, and sounds like a wp leak, headgasket leaks usually run down the crossmember or starter

Oledirtypearl86 likes this.
  5. Oledirtypearl86

Yeah I ran it pretty hard for a few minutes yesterday but it never got hot and I never really built much boost maby 5 pounds but tomorrow I'll take a better look it was dark and about 15 out side when I found it plus the batteries in my headlamp were low and pretty dim

6. DrCharles

DrCharles Full Access Member

Does the fan have play if you grab the blades and rock them back & forth? That's how I found my coolant leak - hard to tell where it was coming from since it would run around all sorts of corners before dripping. But the 1/4" of play (at the tips of the blades) was a dead giveaway.

7. Oledirtypearl86

I haven't dug that deep yet I will tomorrow but this is a good thing I guess while I have all the belts and such off I can put my powersteering pump on and all the new belts I have had as spairs on a few are a little older and starting to crack

8. Randy Bush

Randy Bush Full Access Member

Kind of think it is a hit and miss on getting a good one that will last. Last one I put on about 5-6 yrs ago, could be more, I got for a local parts store for $60. Have not been real impressed with Napa lately, deal with Carquest most of the time here.

9. Oledirtypearl86

I've got a couple of good used ones but would not mind paying a few for a new one

10. whiteboyslo

whiteboyslo FNG

I installed a Motorcraft unit and ended up having to replace it again within a year or two. New one is from NAPA and seems to be doing fine (about a year now). Not sure if maybe I just messed up the install on the first one or what, but it ended up leaking out the weap hole.

Mike

11. Oledirtypearl86

Yeah I bet that mine is leaking out the weep hole and I caught it early because it's enough to notice but it's not pouring out