Converting to Electronic glow plug control

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently started daily driving my old beast. All seemed well enough, until I lost a new set of glow plugs to a timer that keeps turning on after the engine is already warm. My habit of allowing the truck to warm up in the morning may have been what did me in. Running the 1987-up style would also make the truck more idiot proof and easier to fit with a remote starter.

With all that said, what's the best way to go about this? I already have a motorcraft controller in the mail, but it seems the wiring harness is a little harder to come by.

Who did this conversion, and how did you go about it?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were going to do an automatic setup, I would set it up like stock with the solid state controller, but add a second thermal switch like what feeds your high idle solenoid that would only supply ignition source when the engine is below 130*, which is really how ford should have set it up. That way it cannot cycle if it is already warm.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. I actually had that in with my bi-metal switch setup at one point. But for some reason, it wouldn't give my the 10s glow time anymore. So I put it back to stock and here I am LOL

But yes, I do like the idea of trying it again with the solid state setup.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-9L-Glow-...ityMailSmallFlatRateBox!96150!US!-1&_sacat=0&
I bought one of these. I believe Mel used one for awhile and switched to one made by Delphi. I have my gp set up with a push button, so the controller is not used normally. I wanted the option of using this if I let someone else use my truck or if I need to leave it at a shop for some reason. I hooked it up to see how (or if) it worked and it did, but Mel claimed the Delphi was better and the accurate diesel one failed long term.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything to add, but why not go push-button? Can't burn them out with a momentary switch!
:Thumbs Up

Sounds like he wants to intergrate a remote starter at some point.

Mine starts fine above ambient temperature of 55* without glow plugs and with a few extra cranks, so my question is why 130*? If the ambient is up there the block will stay pretty warm. My high idle kicks out around 115* or so..

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-9L-Glow-Plug-Controller-83-87-Ford-Diesel-IMPROVED/371136832246?hash=item56697aa2f6:g:s8oAAOxymcdRguFz:sc:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!96150!US!-1&_sacat=0&
I bought one of these. I believe Mel used one for awhile and switched to one made by Delphi. I have my gp set up with a push button, so the controller is not used normally. I wanted the option of using this if I let someone else use my truck or if I need to leave it at a shop for some reason. I hooked it up to see how (or if) it worked and it did, but Mel claimed the Delphi was better and the accurate diesel one failed long term.
Pardon my ignorance as I am not yet intimate with the IDI power plant. Where does this controller go? In other words, where is it located in the engine bay and what does it plug into? Thanks!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-9L-Glow-Plug-Controller-83-87-Ford-Diesel-IMPROVED/371136832246?hash=item56697aa2f6:g:s8oAAOxymcdRguFz:sc:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!96150!US!-1&_sacat=0&

I thought they both failed on him? I don't mind the idea, but I was under the impression that the new improved were not really that much better.

As for the push button idea, I actually have a three mode switch that toggles between Manual | Off | Auto. With manual being momentary that locks out when the high idle circuit switches off.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance as I am not yet intimate with the IDI power plant. Where does this controller go? In other words, where is it located in the engine bay and what does it plug into? Thanks!
The 6.9 used this type of controller. It threads into the drivers side head at the firewall using a 1/2" npt hole that is plugged on 7.3s. The base of the controller is in contact with the coolant and is only supposed to energize if the coolant is cold. The glow plug harness plugs into the top. '87 6.9s and 7.3s went to a solid state controller not in contact with coolant with a different harness.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they both failed on him? I don't mind the idea, but I was under the impression that the new improved were not really that much better.

As for the push button idea, I actually have a three mode switch that toggles between Manual | Off | Auto. With manual being momentary that locks out when the high idle circuit switches off.
Since you have a push button option you could run the "improved" version and if it died you could still start your truck. I assume in fail mode it wouldn't be in the on mode.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO. The 87 up controller uses 6V glow plugs which are monitored via the resistance(current draw) by the controller.
The 86-down controller uses 12V glow plugs with a bi-metal strip and no glow plug feedback(just time/engine temp).

If you use spade-style glow plugs(12V) with a 87-up controller, it won't cycle long enough because the resistance in the glow plug will be too high.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah missed the glow plug set part, harness will fine but you will need to swap plugs

Eighty_six

Reaction score
I was about a tick **** away from buying the solid state gpc and plug set from accurate diesel this afternoon (been having some hard starts) for my 86 6.9. it says to specify spade or bullet type connectors. It also says it's a solid state system instead of electomechanical.

Since I'm such a noob I could use some clarification. If I change plugs AND controller to solid state with bullet connectors (I have spades currently) I'm doing the right thing, right?

This is not a hijacking, I swear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online

No members online now.