Considering ‘91 idi van: suggestions?

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a ‘92 f-250, so I have some idea of what’s involved with maintenance on the idi, my bigger concern is access with the van. How hard are routine maintenance items, including glow plugs? The van is a long way away, so before I commit to looking at it I want to know if I should be considering it anyway.
And I apologize if there is already a thread on this. So far none of my search attempts on this forum (on ANY subject) have led me where I want to go. I’m not a good mechanic, but I’m even worse on a computer.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, if you want information about the IDI van, check out my site: http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/

Second, I wrote up some of the differences of the IDI truck and IDI van here: http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/turbo/differences-between-the-idi-van-and-idi-truck-engines/

Also, as for maintenance, it depends. Most of the van maintenance has a reputation for being harder to access. But that's not always the case. There are pros and cons to both. For example, the oil cooler job is much easier in a van than truck. Also, dropping a tranny is very easy on a van. Also accessing the oil pressure sensor, intake, turbo parts, GP relay, CDR, etc etc is much easier than the truck.

While the front 6 GP's are easier to get in the IDI truck, the back 6 GP's are very easy to reach in the doghouse in an IDI Van.

Another benefit to the van is, you can pull the doghouse and literally crack injectors and access the engine while sitting in the comfort of the driver's seat.

So it is mainly more about how you look at things. Yes, the front of the engine in the van is a PITA to access, but the back is much more exposed for maintenance than the truck can provide.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. I figured I've been wrenching on these IDI vans for years, I might as well put some videos and articles up on the stuff I've learned on the way.

Recently, I did an engine swap and I'll be posting a bunch of videos and articles regarding that. Here's the status of the new engine:

You must be registered for see images attach

As you can see, there is a lot of access on the rear and sides of the engine in a van, that most truck IDI's never see the light of day. I'd say that over half the engine is exposed through the doghouse.