Compressed air to Eliminate Turbo Lag, or turn smoke into power?

Pullet

Reaction score
Can onboard air be routed into turbine to eliminate turbo lag?
I saw Volvo has a system that does this when I turned up nothing here or on SouperDuty and elsewhere.
For my work I intend to manage onboard air someday, although it's probably not the first system I'll have operable since I have a trailer that needs/will have electric anyway. Having air available made me wonder about routing into intake to reduce smoke periodically uphill, since I'm n/a and I can roll coal if I forget not to.
That led me on to find the Volvo system, which spools the turbo if the throttle jumps faster than the exhaust or something.
Anybody smart enough to warn me to stop dreaming? Anybody tried something? Do I just suck at searching?
Thanks.

Pullet

Reaction score
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-diesel-turbo-lag-solution-is-compressed-air/
The Volvo system mentioned without much technicality.

Looks like those guys have a different set of priorities, but thanks for the links, that's awesome stuff they're doing.
The pertinent information I saw was that 1) the bottle becomes the sole air source if routed to the intake, so there's need for a close-off between intake-fitting and atmosphere, 2) a high pressure system gives huge thermal density advantage and combined with a big fuel pump/injection it makes enormous power somehow possible.

Sounds like it's possible to burn my coal, it's just uncharted territory. I'd be happy to see the people whose hats I blow off, as did recently happen in a blast of grey-black.. I felt bad.
But I have other things to fix first, and shouldn't be towing much or often for a while.

Last edited:

Pullet

Reaction score
Twin turbo setup, or a supercharger...? I haven't heard of anything that works much like either of those systems.

The Volvo system is more what I expected someone would have tried: a Moarboost Button that would give the turbine a few seconds of pressure and velocity without waiting for exhaust to do it. I wouldn't want to drill such a costly piece, myself, but imagine that the cost to someone who's already got onboard air and a turbo could be approximately pocket change.

As I've no turbo, something like the CAS system might could push enough air in to match my fuel load (if scaled down to <200hp), but at this point I'm just dreaming and wondering ways to make my fuel push me faster instead of forming a smokescreen.

Pullet

Reaction score
That's probably why the CAS test was on a -small- block, guess I'll have to do some maths someday to figure it out, but 7.3L x rpm is a lot of air, even without pressurization.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
There are two problems. First, you must compress the air, and this takes a bit of power to do so. Second, even if you have a decent size tank, the CFM requirement of the engine will completely such a filled tank bone dry in a very short amount of time. This would be on the intake side. Exhaust side, considering the volume of tubing between the heads and the turbo, I could see help spooling the turbo. Once again, you run out of air eventually, then you gotta pay hp to compress more.

teletech

Reaction score
Even if you had a source of air that would provide the volume you need, you'd need some way to pressurize the intake where the pressure wouldn't escape out the air filter. If you are running N/A it's simply time to buy a turbo.