Compatability of ZF Gas 460 trans with IDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I found a ZF5 from a 460. Will it bolt to my 7.3 directly? Do I need to drill the bellhousing to make it fit? Is it out of the question all together?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I have been told it is not a direct fit. I been told it wont work then been told you had to drill out the holes. Anyways the gear ratio of the transmission would be different than one out of a diesel.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've been told both ways, I had one guy tell me he took the ZF from his 460 powered wrecker and put it in his IDI powered wrecker...This was about 2 months ago via a phone conversation....I've also heard you need to drill holes....:dunno....I told him that and he said it bolted right up.:rolleyes:

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a picture somewhere of a BBF ZF with the rear plate from a diesel (or vice versa) engine laid over the front of it and it is very close but not a direct fit, if I remember right there are 2 holes different. I will look to see if I can found that picture, but if not I am sure someone will post it soon.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Russ did it, said that the top two holes had to be drilled out a little bit to work. At least I thought it was Russ....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
And if it is Russ's truck...the gear ratio's werent bad at all. Shifted nice and seemed to have good spreads between the gears ;Sweet.

Its been going on 2 years now since I've ridden in it though LOL

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The final answer is, 4 holes and 2 dowels are different, the top ones will work.

I bolted a 460 to my diesel zf. After drilling.
blue original idi holes
pink idi dowels
green 460 bolts
brown 460 dowels
red 460 starter.

oh and someone needs to move this to the tech section if it is worthy.

Attachments

• rail mods 054mod.JPG
    rail mods 054mod.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,467

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that Russ. I'm planning on trying to put the ZF5 I have from my F350 gasser parts truck on the crew cab IDI.

Heath

Status
Not open for further replies.