Coming Back - Texas

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of guys local to me here that can do it. If you get a measurement from the middle of the u joint on the output of the transmission to the center of the carrier bearing you can get it shortened to the correct length while you’re here

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good Steven! Just shoot me a pm when you get a chance and Ill give you my info. If you bring your truck up I can throw the timing meter on while its here ;Sweet

Steven Donald

Reaction score
Sounds good. OK, looked under my truck and the t-case isn't divorced, so the front drive shaft literally can't be shortened, it wouldn't make sense unless the whole engine/trans/t-case assembly moved. I'm confused!

Steven Donald

Reaction score
How well does the 7.3idi turbo pull a 4x4 extended cab down the road at 75mph at 1,700rpm? My boost comes on at 2,000, so real power isn't really there for me. But if I'm just cruising empty?

Steven Donald

Reaction score
Have you messed with your fuel adjustment yet? How much boost are you seeing?

It's showing 2-3psi until 2,000 rpm, then runs up to 10 real quick and tops out at 15 right at 3,000 and is pulling very strong. Then it falls on it's face, like I've said on the other thread, defuels at 3,000 and won't go over 3,250 even without a load due to the gevernor. I haven't messed with the springs yet.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you mess with anything I’d like to do some tuning on it while you’re here and see if I can get your boost to come on sooner.

Steven Donald

Reaction score
OK. The PO put a single mass flywheelnon it, so I don't like chugging it anyway, but all the gear rollover noise is gone by 1,250 even under full load. It would be nice to have more boost down there.

Steven Donald

Reaction score
Has the engine been studded or are they stock head bolts?

Previous owner did the following a year ago, with receipts:

Heads stone turned at machine ship
New valves, springs and guides
Lower compression thicker head gasket
"Upgraded head bolts" -not sure if that means studded...
It's a '91 7.3, but the turbo and injection pump ate from a '94
Blocked off wastegate
Heavy duty valley pan
New injectors and glow plugs.

Steven Donald

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, this thing runs like a top, I had an old NA IDI before and this thing starts instantly, no smoke unless you get on it at low RPM and really pulls hard from 2,500 to 3,000. Pulls great from 2,000 to 2,500 and pulls like my old NA below that, probably a little better.

I just want the higher drive ratio and I feel like there is a TON of extra power untapped from 3,000 to 3,300... I want it!

Steven Donald

Reaction score
Here's a video of the governor. As you see, it completely quits at 3,300, but if you're loaded, it is VERY obvious that the power starts cutting right at 3,000rpm

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media