Coming Back - Texas

Steven Donald

Reaction score
Hello!

I may have registered here years ago, but I couldn't find any posts showing as mine, so maybe I've just lurked for years. Anyway, I just bought another IDI and I'm loving it, had a question, so I'll be starting a thread in the appropriate place right after I type this up. A little about my IDI world...

Back in 2007, I bought a single cab F250 with a 7.3idi, NA, 5spd 2wd. I bought it because I had a 70 mile commute and had a source of 15 gallons of FREE waste vegetable oil from my old college cafeteria. I sold it a year later to some guy who used it as a science fair project. I put a few videos of it up on YouTube when i sold it back in '08. here's one
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
What a good lookin' guy... lol. So, I ran WVO through it with a few mods for that entire summer and saved a ton on gas, it was over $3/gallon back then and my only other car (Subaru SVX) only took premium. I loved that truck, but I had to let it go.

Fast forward to today, I got some spending money and decided it was time for my "Dream Truck" and let me tell you, this is it. I bought a 1991 F250, extended cab long bed. It has a 1992 7.3idi with the turbo and intake off a '94 idi turbo. Previous owner studded it, reconditioned the heads, deleted the wastegate and turned up the IP. It's got a 3" downpipe to a giant stack out the back. I'll upload a photo. The PO put Peterbuilt badges all over it, so if any of you know this truck, please let me know!

The reason I came on is that the IP defuels at 3,000 rpm, but i'll start a thread for that one. I'm sure y'all will have the answer! If anyone on here is in the Alice or Corpus Christi, Texas
You must be registered for see images attach
area, shout out!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Steven! I’m north of San Antonio so couple hours from you, I built a pretty hot 7.3 idi for a guy in George west which isn’t too far from you. Good to see some more Texas members!

Steven Donald

Reaction score
Cool, thanks! Got a question, noticed your sig talks about a gear vendors Overdrive, is that in the rear diff? I just drove the truck from Abilene (where I bought it) and these 4.10's aren't nice to the engine at 75mph!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s an auxiliary unit, some bolt to the back of the transmission or transfer case and some are divorced (mounted separate) like what I have. It acts as a overdrive unit so you flip a switch and it multiplies your gear ratio by .71, so 2500 rpms at 70 would be cut down to 1775 rpms with the gear vendors engaged. You can engage it in any gear as well so it makes a 5 speed truck like a ten speed with its gear splitter ability. I have a spare if you want it

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s actuated by a solenoid so all it needs it 12v to engage. I have the controller for it so you can set it up to come on automatically or just have a switch on the shifter to engage it manually. It mounts in place of the carrier bearing, so you’ll need the brackets and driveshafts from this truck.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

We’re pulling the engine from that truck next month to build it for another truck, so we won’t be needing the overdrive unit. I’ll take $650 for it.

Steven Donald

Reaction score
The drive shafts and brackets from my truck is all I need? Or "this truck"? Which truck? Lol! I guess my teal qquestion, will $650 get everything I need to install it if I have the stock components on my truck?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will haha sorry, $650 includes everything that you need to bolt it into your truck. Since your truck is 4x4 the front driveshaft will need to be shortened, but everything else is the same between our trucks;Sweet

Steven Donald

Reaction score
I really want that. I'll do $650. I just want to make sure it's something I can do myself. I need to look at the front driveshaft and see what shortening it would entail, I guess that means i will be relocating the transfer case? Wait, it is a divorced transfer case? I need to spend some time under my new truck, lol!

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB nice truck i used to live in corpus Christi still have a lot of family in Texas n corpus Christi

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This should explain it:

Here’s the driveshaft coming from the back of the transmission, it enters the front of the overdrive unit. This is the driveshaft that will need to be shortened, your 4x4 parts will all stay the same.

Here it is mounted under the truck, you can see the driveshaft coming from the overdrive and going to the rear end

Steven Donald

Reaction score
Thanks for the photos! I'll get under my truck tonight and see what kind of trouble i would be getting myself into. so, this unit would go between the transmission and transfer case? Or just effect the rear? How does this effect the speedo? Is it easily adjustable on a '91?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a good question, since your Speedo is driven off the transfer case it may show a lower speed with the overdrive engaged but I’m not 100% on that, hopefully someone who has run an overdrive with a 4x4 will chime in, I know on the 2wd trucks it won’t affect it.