1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch question

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by KevSrFord, May 23, 2020.

1. KevSrFord

KevSrFord Registered User

Actually more of a flywheel question.
    Does this look beyond using a scotchbright pad on the end of a dygrinder to clean up?

20200523_205209.jpg

20200523_205151.jpg

20200523_205146.jpg

2. Philip1

Philip1 Full Access Member

If it was me, I wouldn't reuse it. All those cracks in it would need at minimum a surfacing but most likely a replacement

KevSrFord and SkipBurney like this.
  3. SkipBurney

SkipBurney Full Access Member

I had a flywheel blow up on a 327 Chevrolet when I was a kid. It took out the bellhousing, transmission, clutch, pressure plate, starter, came up through the floor and pushed the heater up into the windshield and broke the crankshaft. Taught me a big lesson about heat cracks in a flywheel

The_Josh_Bear and KevSrFord like this.
  4. Shadetreemechanic

Shadetreemechanic Full Access Member

machine shop will be able to get most of that out. Cost me $60 bucks last time I had one turned.

KevSrFord and SkipBurney like this.
  5. KevSrFord

I got it solved. A friend of mine who has a machine shop opened up for me just to take care of the flywheel. He had it completely done in less than 15 minutes and not a crack that is seen in the pictures can be seen.
    Now he didn't get super fancy on the resurface job making all the little swirls all pretty but it is definitely usable. He even cleaned it up wider because I went to the 12" clutch where it had the 11". Now to get it back together and redo all of this in about 3 months or so after my ZF5 is fully rebuilt. It's taking so long because I am getting the entire rebuild for free by having a student class do it under the supervision of an instructor. I figured what the hell the price is right and they are going to warranty it for 3years unlimited miles.

SkipBurney likes this.
  6. firehonomichl

firehonomichl Full Access Member

Man that’s the dual mass fly wheel I would just do the conversion and go to the single. I had a lot of problems with that DMF so I did the conversion and put a new clutch in and my truck is like brand new

7. KevSrFord

I already got it back together. I'm going to be redoing it in a few months anyways so I have it going good till then.

8. firehonomichl

firehonomichl Full Access Member

O gotcha! My DMF was clunking so bad I’m kinda surprised it didn’t come apart lol

9. Macrobb

Macrobb Full Access Member

If it's a DMF... be careful about pushing the truck too hard or towing for too long.
    There's a friction disc inside the DMF, as a "torque limiter". Get the flywheel hot and it can slip with a lot less power.

After running into that a couple hours from home and having to keep the throttle really light or it'd slip... screw that!
    (Oh, and the next day? it worked fine again. I could only break it loose at full throttle and dropping the clutch. It still got replaced ASAP).
    SMF is the /only/ way to go...

10. u2slow

u2slow Plan B

I forgot those things were only 11". Too small. Convert to SMFW and at least a 12".

Even for my cummins Dodges I won't run a clutch less than 13".

Macrobb likes this.