bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rob, did you end up going another route after clearwater

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea,bought heads from another company out of Irving ,Texas......and my machine shop had to redo two valves on that set! however all is good,, engine suppose to be installed this week. What an ordeal---Rob

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I havent had good luck with any florida company. Not sure why, but the stories I could tell. Pretty much an"if it fits together it will work " attitude.

So on the subject of new castings. Thats what they are ,new castings. New valves and springs are available as well as valve locks. The rotators and spring retainers are re used on EVERY head I have ever purchased. If you want new then prepare to pay. Rotators for a detroit diesel are 60 bucks each IF you can get them. I bet ours are in the same range.
I am talking with diesel cast west to see about them sourcing some new castings as IDI heads are getting scarce.
Unless you use a local machine shop you are at the mercy of what you get.
I do a very nice valve job, but any other machine shop may not like it. And I tend to do a little off spec toward what lasts good, having done nearly 50 of these engines.
I also do a 3 angle job, thats what my cutter does, but even if I grind the seats I do it. No it may not be necessary ,but ive done 3 angle forever. I also back cut MY valves a little. but usually not customer because it is extra and its always about money.
Rob got hosed plain and simple. Its that florida thing.