Clear wax/grease in coolant reservoir?

msta999

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2005 F350 KR with the 6.0 PS (163K), 3 days ago I noticed, what sounded like a turbo wine noise after driving a couple miles in the morning (-15 F), if I slowed down the noise would go away and if I sped up, it would go away, then it just went away and didn't come back the rest of the day. It did the same thing the next day, but yesterday it didn't do it. Yesterday at the end of the day, I checked the coolant and there is this clear wax looking stuff in it, not a lot, but there is enough to hang onto the sides of the reservoir. I did notice a tiny bit of this substance in the reservoir last year and just cleaned it out with a rag and it didn't come back. Truck starts and runs fine, I don't have to add coolant....not sure if the two are related, I only look at the reservoir to make sure it is not low, normally, this time I took the cap off and looked inside.....sound familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance!

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@msta999 Iv seen that when it gets super cold flush your system really good and even the block and switch to GO5 by zerex also when it's that cold out these trucks sound funny and run funny act funny iv just gotten used to it also did you have excess pressure I your degasbottle

msta999

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I don't see any sign of excessive pressure from the degas bottle, I'll have to look in the day light, but as I understand it, there will be white powdery substance on the out side of the degas bottle, if there is excessive pressure, correct?

msta999

Reaction score
Nothing on the outside of the bottle, but I think it is oil, I took some of the grease out with my finger and it does not smell like fuel. I'll pick up a baby bottle cleaner brush and clean out the inside of the coolant reservoir and see if it returns, it is too cold to really do anything else about it for now. I'll see if I can get the cap checked.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not seen waxy material in the coolant unless some fuel has leaked in.