Changing to electric fuel pump from mechanical for 6.9 IDI

ThirstyF250

Reaction score
I have a 1984 F250 - 6.9 IDI (no turbo of course)

I was doing some research and purchased this electric fuel pump and its in the mail on its way, but now im not so sure about using it because i want to be sure it wont damage or affect the Injection Pump timing or is there a recommended electric fuel pump over this one?

The stock mechanical pump is around 5 psi as far as i've read

Any advice or experience is appreciated!

I got this one
Seachoice 20331 Dura-Lift® Electronic Fuel Pump, Solid State Construction, 120 Inches Lift, 11.5-9 PSI, 33 GPH

Attachments

• 81VhWQu5bSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81VhWQu5bSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I've run holley reds on my IDI and have no complaints at all. Excellent pumps.
I've heard that the duralift pumps used to be great but lately quality hasn't been the best, so at least make sure you have a warranty before installing it just in case.
The Holley's reds don't require a regulator, but I'm not sure on the duralift.

Rock

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The Holley's reds don't require a regulator
Not entirely true, your results may vary. My RV needed a regulator with a Holley Red. The unregulated pump screwed up the timing so much that it wouldn't go over 55-60mph and even lacked power at 40-45. I could tell it was running poorly. I put on the regulator and adjusted it several times and it runs fine now. Just something to keep in mind. Maybe it's a one-off problem my IP has but who knows?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I used to have the same elec pump on my truck, until I discovered WMO. It did just fine on my 86. I removed the water separator and put it on the fire wall in the water separators place, since the plumbing is right there and the water separator is just a 30yr old air/fuel leak. My truck has a 94 turbo IDI motor and the 9-11psi kept it going, no hiccups. I had to go back to the mechanical fuel pump for wmo, though.

ThirstyF250

Reaction score
Hey, I used to have the same elec pump on my truck, until I discovered WMO. It did just fine on my 86. I removed the water separator and put it on the fire wall in the water separators place, since the plumbing is right there and the water separator is just a 30yr old air/fuel leak. My truck has a 94 turbo IDI motor and the 9-11psi kept it going, no hiccups. I had to go back to the mechanical fuel pump for wmo, though.
hey sorry, but what's WMO?

Didn't affect its Injection Pump or any adjustments on that needed with the slight PSI change of the electric pump over the mechanical one?

I think i still want the water separator but i would like to replace with something more leak free and easy to maintain- isnt the water separator needed?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
hey sorry, but what's WMO?

Didn't affect its Injection Pump or any adjustments on that needed with the slight PSI change of the electric pump over the mechanical one?

I think i still want the water separator but i would like to replace with something more leak free and easy to maintain- isnt the water separator needed?
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the setup on my 6.9 I have since sold.
Golden rod water separator meant for a transfer tank. It was complete overkill, but only 30 bucks. Very nice to service as well. May not be the prettiest, but that's not what I was going for.

Rock

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Oh, another thing about Holley Red I should point out, and maybe why it worked poorly with my 085 turbo RV:

You must be registered for see images attach

At 6psi, it can only deliver a bit over 20gph. That's not enough fuel for an IDI, especially with a turbo. I seem to recall being told that after ordering it. The regulator I added reduced the pressure and increased the gph, I'm guessing.

Having it regulated around 3-4psi, similar to a mechanical pump, lets it deliver more fuel, if I understand correctly.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Bart is correct, waste motor oil. I didn't have my pump regulated or anything and I'm not terribly sure how nesicery a water separator is, but it idled fine, you could petal to the metal and it didn't miss a beat. Just please understand.......I'm about as low tech redneck as they come.

Old Swabbie

Reaction score
I've run holley reds on my IDI and have no complaints at all. Excellent pumps.
I've heard that the duralift pumps used to be great but lately quality hasn't been the best, so at least make sure you have a warranty before installing it just in case.
The Holley's reds don't require a regulator, but I'm not sure on the duralift.

Rock

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How awesome would it be for the forum to link these threads into the posting of said thread like other places...
Ex. I post a thread titled
My Google fu is weak
The forum pops up existing threads of similar content.
@Shaggy
@snicklas

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
How awesome would it be for the forum to link these threads into the posting of said thread like other places...
Ex. I post a thread titled
My Google fu is weak
The forum pops up existing threads of similar content.
@Shaggy
@snicklas
Or the forum search engine just worked! Then you would not have to rely on Google!

Here is a thought, the site owner paid someone to tag these, archive them by type, and then copied and put in a separate folder with like threads. (IE by IP, Injector, Starter, GP, turbo, oil cooler)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online