Changing Our Own Tires

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question/comment. Do we mostly take tire changing to a shop because it's too hard to loosen lug nuts or wrangle tire/wheel or ? If lug nuts too tight couple fixes. 1. The planetary gear torque multiplier with 1/2" drive input/17,19,21mm output with 18:1 multiplier so 10 in 180out. Like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GUOFDHA/ref=psdc_559968_t1_B074GR49V4 Any good?
Option 2 using stock dog leg lug wrench and screw jack, picture this. Screw jack on ground near tire with lift pad raised just below a lug nut. Place wrench on nut with short leg resting level on jack. Jump on long leg, maybe with BOTH feet.:eek: Move to another lug. Once all loosened, use jack as intended to raise truck. Worked for me alongside road without AAA assistance. ps:If you can not picture this, do not try it. Don't think a video is needed.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of time I just pack my Milwaukee 1/2 impact, no problem with it. Now if one is talking about buying new tires and changing them , it just not worth any kind of savings one might think they are getting.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a star wrench which is about 16 inches long. I have always been able to break loose properly torqued lug nuts with that. I'm 6'4" and only weigh 200 pounds, so I don't have a lot of muscle or weight to put into it.

If you take it to a tire shop, take it home and break the nuts loose and retorque the properly.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you take it to a tire shop, take it home and break the nuts loose and retorque the properly.

This is why I do it myself, this and I usually use balancing beads. The beads made my last mud tires as smooth as A/T's. My machine (HF) broke on the last change and I had to have a shop mount and balance. I came home and almost couldn't get the lug nuts loose to re-torque. A mechanic friend has has an account with a local Americas tire for when they over tighten the lug nuts and break the stud (He does a lot of 3/4 ton and up trucks). He does at least 3 a week, sometimes multiple ones in a day.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I take my stuff to a shop is the tire warranty only applies if a shop mounts, balances and rotates the tires. Before you keyboard warriors argue, I checked with the manufacturer (General). Having said that I've been taking my stuff to the same shop for years as well as my state vehicle (I operate a state vehicle and take many of ours vehicles to this shop). Having said that I did threaten them the first time I went with "don't rattle my **** on, do it right with a torque wrench or I'll never bring my stuff here again including your lucrative state account". Never had an issue.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I carry the HFT electric impact gun, but I also have a 4000W generator with me at all times, built into the RV. But failing that, I like a long breaker bar. They work better than 4 ways or stock lug nut wrenches.

I used the impact at oreilly a couple years ago for alternator pulley swapping. Worked great. Plus the F250 ball joints got pressed in with it and the free rental tool kit.

I've used it for lug nuts too, doing brake pads.

Honestly, it's one of the best tools I have.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
this and I usually use balancing beads. The beads made my last mud tires as smooth as A/T's.

You say you have good luck with the beads? What kind do you use? I've looked around & trying to decide what kind to use.
Yrs ago I mted some, dumped in a bunch of BB's in & they didn't work. Since then I've found some charts that have amounts vs tire size. Last wk I mted some 315's with 6 oz/tire, used BB's, on a Chev 2500HD & she rides & runs smooth & sweet.

Need to mt some tires on my CC Dually, but my tire machine went down other day. (fancy reversing turntable switch quit working on my uprite Italian made Werther tire machine. I'm having heck finding a compatible switch too! Bought that thing used early '90's, worked great & saved tons $$)

Incidentally I rattle my lugs off & on with my Mac or HF air or my HF electric, then torque with my big Snap-On EBay $17 used torque wrench. (Snagged it, got it, then cked calibration against 3 friends certified torque wrenches.)

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used these in Diego when I mounted winter tires : https://www.magnumbalance.com/en-us/

They're not bad but not super smooth either. I get vibration around 34-45 and they smooth out after that. I wouldn't like them if I was in the city but most of my driving is either 30 or 55 so they're ok. Wouldn't bother with them again personally.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used these on the Mud tires (285/75r16, 8 oz per tire):

https://www.counteractbalancing.com/

They worked well (smooth up to around 70-75 mph). When I went to change tires the beads had very little wear on them and I planed to reused them. When the machine broke (securing ring) I went ahead and had the shop balance them. I just might remove the weights and put beads in the 305/75r16 A/T's that are on it now.

Part time

Reaction score
I do all my own tires,I have a coats 4050a tire machine. As for Balancing I do have dynamic spin that I use on the small tires. I haven't had any vibration problems yet not Balancing the truck tires. If I need to someday I will use those beads.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used these on the Mud tires (285/75r16, 8 oz per tire):

https://www.counteractbalancing.com/

They worked well (smooth up to around 70-75 mph). When I went to change tires the beads had very little wear on them and I planed to reused them. When the machine broke (securing ring) I went ahead and had the shop balance them. I just might remove the weights and put beads in the 305/75r16 A/T's that are on it now.

+1
I mount and balance my own. I use the glass beads in smaller tires (wife's Caravan) and I use quality air-soft gun beads in my truck. Best ride ever.

Beads are much more effective than fixed weights - they balance the complete rotating assembly (rotor) plus automatically adapt to wear, mud... Even if you have a shop hammer on weights try adding some glass beads through the valve stem. You won't need much for a perfect ride.

Don't try using a balancing machine with beads installed though... won't work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online