change cab?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I have a 1987 F350 UV(unfinished vehicle) 4x4 that I originally bought for the front (Dana60) axle, but have decided to just rebuild this truck. It has a crease in the cab that looks as if a telephone pole fell over and laid on it. Not huge damage (except needing a new windshield), but I was wondering if it might be easier or cheaper to just change out the cab and transfer the ID plate and sticker. Anyone have experience here? Not trying to pull any fast ones legally, but as long as I have to take most of the truck apart, I thought I could avoid some tough bodywork by just replacing the body.

Related issue: how tough would it be to add a CC? The frame rails behind the cab are a little narrower than a pickup, but do not have any rise to them.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Legally, you need the title to the replacement cab, and need to title the vehicle as an assembled vehicle, at least here in Indiana its that way, and a couple of other states that I know, so probably all states are this way. Moving the VIN tag and door sticker are a no-no....

You being in Kali, Calvin @towcat would be a good source, since he has "re-skinned" a couple of these trucks.....

The CC swap, have no idea, maybe Brian @IDIoit could give some pointers.... but not sure if he has messed with a C&C frame before.....

I looked into what the BMV in Indiana required for a cab swap. That's how I know about the title and re-title with an assembled VIN here.... The salt has been taken the toll on my 92, and a clean cab would be nice, so when I transferred the Infiniti to my name, I asked while I was there.....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could add a CC cab, you would need to body lift the front.
how much? depending if the frame is a SC or a EC.
repositioning the rear cab mount would be the cleanest.

swapping vin's is 100% illegal. but then again, so is speeding.
that's the only comment I have about that.

ive pulled many cabs, the hardest part of it is getting the bolts out. they like to break.

pictured is a crew cab sitting on a extended cab chassis. you can see how much the front needs to be lifted.

You must be registered for see images attach

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Thanks! It is a SC frame, I will probably just forget about the CC unless I get one for free.

Bodywork to repair this compound curve and crease is not attractive, but may be the easiest way to go after all. Until that gets started, I will peruse the marketplace for cabs as a hobby.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Sure there is, just buy 400 lbs of bondoLOL
Cab swap should be cheapest easiest way to fix it

That is what the P.O. did, it flaked off. I know how it needs to be fixed, just have to take the time to learn.

I should post a picture of the damage, I have made it sound more than it is.