1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDL B anyone??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by m67tang, May 22, 2020 at 10:54 PM.

1. m67tang

m67tang Full Access Member

I’m not sure if this is the place to post this. It’s a bit of a rant and ends with some questions....

My work place has turned into a crap hole. I’m stuck for 4 more years to get my pension. So I plan to try to stick it out. If possible.

this crap hole I call employer has been converting most our of jobs into CDL B required, “ just in case it’s needed”. Essentially, if I have a CDL I’ll not need it ever! We have 1, 33k lb air brake strait truck on our division. With 50 available guys. Just last year our company was asking guys to surrender CDLs to save them cost. This place SUCKS!

Fast forward to now, I have my CDL permit. And Ive learn that since our truck is automatic, if I test in it I’ll be restricted to auto only on my license. Since I plan on leaving in 4 years and a day should I really go to the trouble of testing in a manual truck?
    I’m asking of those that have already earned a CDL.
    I know less restrictions are better, but seems like manual trucks are going away, and 4 more years will be even fewer. Yes I can drive a manual PSD pickup, but that’s not an unsynchronized manual. I’d hafta find a truck like my ZF5 pickup to use.
    I’m lost on this.
    Thanks

2. lotzagoodstuff

lotzagoodstuff Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just wondering: do you think you'll ever need a CDL in your next line of work? If you do, it might be worth the investment. Also, keep in mind that lots of things can change in four years: they could buy another truck that has a manual trans.

I can't really speak for straight trucks, but I was at a large truck plant in January of this year, and although this was just one shift on one particular day, 70% of what was on their engine/transmission mating and dressing line was ISX 15 liter and old school Eaton manual transmission with a giant old school shifter sticking out the top. Again, this is one snapshot of one day in January, and straight trucks are definitely getting more Allison's and semi-automated manual transmissions every day, but there's still three pedal standard trucks getting built every day too.

I guess it just depends on how much you value having a CDL now and maybe in your future.

Just wondering: are you talking about out of pocket money to get your CDL, or is this being fronted by your employer?

Good luck to you no matter what decision you make.

3. m67tang

I’m gonna say I’m “supposed to be reimbursed “. But I actually see this costing me and likely not getting anything back. I’ve decided I’m gonna ask if the facility that rents to me has a full synchronized manual. If not it’s gonna be an auto. I have no idea about my future in 4 years. There are some local places I might find work using my CDL B. I don’t have the ability to send myself to class A training or I would do that.

4. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Thankfully I got mine before the new requirements went into effect.
    I went Class A. I would recommend A, as there actually aren't many people out there that can drive a manual, and having the combination is more sought after as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. The_Josh_Bear

The_Josh_Bear Full Access Member

I got my class B 13 years ago so I guess things have changed. I tested in an auto and ended up the first trucks we bought were manual(which I like better anyway).
    But they are typically synchronized for class B and for that matter are more and more autos nowadays as stated above.

I also agree if you can go A, do it, but if not it's really up to your situation and future. I can say that job security is better with more skills, but as you said your company is pretty twisted to have people surrender thier CDL... so messed up.

6. Runningaford

Runningaford Registered User

About 15 years back, I studied the state's testing books 2 weeks, passed the written tests. Then I talked my way through the DOT physical which i shouldn't have passed, as I've got muscular dystrophy. Then contacted a trucking school to rent a truck, and 53 foot trailer. I told them I had plenty of time pulling longer goosenecks with a pickup...... LOL So, for $500 bucks, they rented me the truck, and one of their trainers by insurance had to be in the cab. In casual conversations I learned enough to figure out how to float the gears in a 9 speed Freightliner with a 53 foot trailer in tow; man those don't track! I think I got a total of 5-ish hours drive time total between learning to drive the truck(s), and back it in a spot.

The only thing they were concerned about was the DOT medical card that had a bunch of disclaimer footnotes; I told them, 'all is fine', and it was, lol.

That afternoon I learned to do the pre-trip, and drive the thing on the interstate, and in residential areas... I remember driving, and continually almost bursting out in laughter, as I thought, "I know there's a giant truck school sign on the side, but all you folks have no clue that I've got a total of 3 hours drive time!!!" Quite entertaining, and real when the end of the trailer can be another foot over than the cab on a simple curve.

Any ways, come time for my testing with the state guy at 5 o'clock traffic, the 9 speed truck was being used, so they threw me in a 10 speed. The state testing guy didn't have a clue that I'd only ever driven a 9 speed, and only for about 4 hours on that day.

My CDL, is only lacking hazardous materials, and a chauffeur/bus endorsement. Only ever driven one other truck one time since then, but I've been a cdl holder for almost a decade, and a half... HAHAHAHAHA

chillman88 likes this.
  7. u2slow

u2slow Plan B

A CDL (Class 1 w/air-brakes in my region) was always on my bucket list. Procrastinated for 20 years. Finally there was a window of opportunity through work, so I pulled the trigger and got it done. It was actually fun for the most part. Didn't mind the cost. Snagged a job that was a stepping stone to another.

I don't need it anymore, but glad I have it. Never know... next beer virus... trucking might look good. LOL

Runningaford likes this.
  8. Clb

Clb Another old truck Supporting Member

While I usually enjoy reading these threads...
    i am neck deep in shit lately.
    So
    I did not read past yer post.

My
    cdl first issued in 1978
    If they are payin
    And you do not mind the fukt up issue's you are saddled with having a class 1
    The use the company rib.
    And tell em to pound sand when asked to drive a stick!
    As you are not certificate endorsed!
    The fact is they want you to bail so they can save $$$ on yer replacement and retirement!
    I got more but you can hit me up for the rest..
    Godspeed
    Retirement
    Rocks!

9. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I regret not getting my class A personally. That said, I drove a 95 international that was just barely under cdl limits and it was synchronized. As is the class B (2011) international flatbed I drive at work now. I don't think you'll have to worry about the synchronizers as an issue at all.

As the rest have said, will you ever use it after this job? That would make a big difference to me.

10. Oledirtypearl86

Oledirtypearl86 Full Access Member

My thaught I is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

11. m67tang

Thanks all for helping. I can’t know what the future has. Whether I’ll drive the big truck at work, who knows. I foresee the big truck sold sooner or later.

I’m praying for 4 more years and then I’m done with this job. Leaving with a CDL is just a way to help make it happen, maybe. Might even drive Our truck at work sometime too. If I can find a manual to test in, I will. Thanks