Caterpillar to pull out of OTR engine market?

Discussion in 'Rumor mill' started by The Warden, Jul 16, 2008.

1. The Warden

The Warden MiB Impersonator Supporting Member

Hello!

A friend of mine's a truck mechanic and told me that he heard on the grapevine that Caterpillar's giving up on the truck engine market. He said that they're going to pull out as of 2010.

Has anyone heard anything about this? I can't find anything mentioning this online. He said that it's because of slowing sales due to reliability issues (according to him, he's regularly seeing late-model Cats with premature failures)...OTOH, he could be FOS too ;)

Any thoughts?

2. Mike

Mike Stroker Supporting Member

Its true, Cat will be teaming up with Navistar in the truck engine arena.

3. tonkadoctor

tonkadoctor Full Access Member

cookoo

Wonder how long it will take Ford to sue NaviCAT over warranty issues on Yellow painted PowerstrokesLOL :rotflmao :hail

4. Papabear

Papabear Papabear

hey i drive truck for a livbing and you can't beat CAT I would love to see Cat's in ford In my project truck i contimplated a mecahnical baby kitty instead of an IDI for off-road diesel you CANNOT beat a CAT

5. Hoss6.9

Hoss6.9 V - "The BOSS"

I think it's a BIG mistake......

I can't believe that CAT is bailing out...... There is nothing like a CAT... Personally - I wouldn't take a Cumm-along in a big truck up my hind-end sideways.... I have driven many a mile in one when I was driving for others, but as soon as I bought my first truck of my own. There was no other way to go, but with a CAT... I am now on my third one and love this one as much as the first one yet... 1st one was a 3406B 425hp mechanical 2nd was a 3406E 475hp and the 3rd is a 3406E 500hp juiced to around 670hp now... And I am averaging anywhere from 6.6 to 7.47mpg... Depending on what kind of work I am doing and what kind of weight that I am hauling.... I am really disappointed to see and hear this myself...

6. 97rattlebox

97rattlebox Registered User

I've heard from a CAT field tech that they've had a lot of problems with the Acert (emissions-friendly) technology on new engines, which deters many on-highway truck manufacturers. Regardless, some companies don't want CAT engine options in their trucks anymore. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

For example: Freight Liner is owned by Mercedes, which obviously only wants their diesel as an option in their trucks, not CAT's. Personally, it's very sad news.

7. Papabear

Papabear Papabear

cat screwed up when they went to those piggybackedn turbo's like on the new navistar 6.4 very poor design from what i hear the first turbo grenades than you know the rest of the story

8. Gary79F250

Gary79F250 The Bawston Whalah

I cant wait, I have thought that cat engines with the eception of the 3406 and the 3306 are absolute junk. I have developed this when I worked for cat and did alot of marine engines that grenaded. the ones i hate the most are the C7/ 3116, 3126 engines.

9. 94iditurbo

94iditurbo Registered User

yes, what i heard was that CAT was only to replace there medium duty over the road engines C7, C9, C13 series, such as the engines if f650/f750 and topkick trucks with navistar engines because CAT could not meet emisions with these engines. they will still continue with all other acert and off road engines. plus i know CAT is in the process of developing a 1.1 liter based engine such as a 6.6L engine for a replacement in these applications.

10. DeepRoots

DeepRoots Tug Engineer

cat probably doesn't need to sell truck engines.
    all of our tugobats are getting repowered with cats in the next year or two.
    i'll miss my v16 detroits, but when a v16 cat gets you 1200hp extra and saves fuel, and meets emissions i dunno, hard not to.

11. jackson6.6l

jackson6.6l Registered User

Caterpillar and navistar are going to make a complete truck

12. Crumm

Crumm No Comment

Those are all great engines but if you tried a new one you would not think much of Cat. I have ran 3406B, 3406C, 3406E, C15, C16 and the new Acert. All of them are great except the Acert. The Acert burns more fuel than a guy can afford and breaks down more often than any other engine on the road. While I have never been a Cummins fan the ISX that I am currently running will run circles around any Acert on the road and burn half the fuel doing it. If Cat cannot make a engine like they use to then they might as well get out of the truck engine market. I use to be a die-hard Cat fan but not anymore.

13. Papabear

Papabear Papabear

don't tease me?

14. jackson6.6l

jackson6.6l Registered User

Yea, its going to be cat from front to back. Cat dealers will and are going to be working on the entire truck, not just the engines anymore. Navistar is going to build the engines under cat. I work at a cat dealership in Southern Indiana, we have the paper talking about it hanging in our brake room.

15. PackRat

PackRat Buzzard Pilot

I flat out asked a Cat field service rep, night before last.

I was towing his broken Ford.;Poke Sorry, couldn't help myself.

He said it is an unsubstantiated rumor. In fact Cat is working to produce an engine to replace the ACERT. He also commented on the fuel, emissions, and reliability, but I won't even try to quote what he said.