Cat3126 or DT466

Discussion in 'Performance & Upgrades' started by jwb, Apr 27, 2009.

1. whitehorse

whitehorse Full Access Member

I work at a welding supply company and have driven both. The cat...well lets just say they are gutless. We had many issues with injectors and a sensor i cant remember now, but on the other hand i drive a 03 dt466 and its a night and day difference. Plenty of power and they are also cheaper to operate cause your not paying for the cat name.....

2. tbirdfiend281

tbirdfiend281 Full Access Member

well now there is a good arguement for the DT to be the choice. I didnt think of the price point of the cat vs the DT, but, the DT should be cheaper to have, and actually should be easy to obtain parts for, being as the C7/3126 has since been killed off. So that in my book is a clear win. The DT parts interchange quite readily also.

3. idiabuse

idiabuse Full Access Member

I know that most these engines used by "Private" owners are operated on a run to failure program before they start worrying about it. Like you mentioned a better tune and a trained eye keeps any engine running longer, The 3126 is a good choice just from the package size just a bit to big but no one will notice to much, and yea the low end power is fabulous for a light truck. If I every have enough I will put a Power Glide and custom Low stall billet converter with dual Gear vendors behind the 3126 for some real fun cruising.

4. aofarrell2

aofarrell2 Turbo Desirous

The DT466 is a great engine.

So is the 3126, now know as a Cat C7 Acert IIRC.

The 3126 is a great motor, IF it is taken care of the way IT needs to be taken care of. I.e. it is a bit more picky than other engines. Almost all of the failures of the 3126 that I dug into were related to improper maintenance. The C7 has had quite a few updates, and is a VERY powerful motor. The downside of the CAT engines is there is almost NO aftermarket support for them, although CAT does make a high-output tune, something like 350HP and 1000TQ (yes it has that much torque). This is a newer tune available from CAT, so many people don't know about it.

If I was going to swap a CAT in I'd try for the C4.4 Acert. Same thing as the John Deere PowerTech 4.5L, the pre-PowerTech 4.5L (which itself is so similar to the PT) and Perkins 4.5L. It is a inline 4 cylinder turbo diesel, and is a reasonable weight.

5. tbirdfiend281

tbirdfiend281 Full Access Member

Didnt the ACERT motors only add dpf and regen features to the motor, or was there more going on then that?

The higher output C7 powers come from dealer trim files and setting timing with CAT ET I believe. They have a 375hp c7 setup, the military uses this spec motor for the Styrkers and MATV's, there may be others also but those are the 2 I have wrenched on.

6. aofarrell2

aofarrell2 Turbo Desirous

Early ACERT motors didn't have DPF or regen.

Edit: ACERT, stands for Advanced Carbon Emissions Reduction Technology, or more simply, black smoke reduction.

Most diesel engines didn't get DPF until after 2009, as a general rule.

7. Ruger_556

Ruger_556 Full Access Member

I'm a tech for International... DT466 hands down ;Really