Case 1845 skidsteer stalling

Fordfleet

Reaction score
Got a call from Dad the other day. His skidsteer wouldn't stay running. Checked it out, seemed like typical fuel starvation. Starts at normal RPM, rapidly slows, then stalls. If restarted immediately, it will only run a second or so but let it sit for ten minutes and it will run for almost a minute at idle.

Changed out the fuel filters and bled the system by the manual. No change in operation. There's good fuel flow into and out of the filters. Checked the air filter, dirty but serviceable.

I'm thinking IP now but would like to test it or get opinions before pulling it.

Case 1845
188D engine

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it will run long enough to loosen one of the injector lines to see if fuel comes out it might be helpful in troubleshooting the IP.

I presume from your post you have fuel from the fuel pump to the filter and from the filter to the IP in good supply. If that checks out, then crack a injector line and run it for as long as it will run to see if you have fuel even making it to injectors in good quanity or not before pulling the IP.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the fuel pressure not just the flow from the fuel pump and check the shut down solenoid to make sure it's not slowly shutting down the engine with it in "run". Pull the fuel line off and make sure it isn't collapsed inside. Check to make sure there isn't something in the fuel tank getting sucked into the pickup like a rag, plastic whatever.

Some things that can cause symptoms like this is a bad fuel pressure regulator, a bad fuel pump, a fuel hose that is collapsing inside and debris in the fuel tank.

That's where I'd start before tearing into the IP.

I've had problems like this on my Big trucks. One I had a bad fuel pressure regulator, one I had a fuel hose collapse inside coupled with a broken fuel pump coupling on a Detroit 60 series so the fuel pump wasn't putting out enough fuel either and one had a piece of that white plastic they cover new polished aluminum sheet with in a fuel tank that had screens welded on the fuel fill so it came like that from the factory like that when new.

Each time they were frustrating to find the problem.

Fordfleet

Reaction score
Good suggestions.

I can eliminate the fuel pump and shut off solenoid, there aren't any.

The fuel system is pretty basic. It goes from a barb fitting near the bottom of the tank through a manual pump used to bleed the system to the filter assembly and then to the IP. Shut off is a pull cable to the IP.

I checked the shut off cable travel. It looks normal.

Tank debris or collapsed line is a possibility. Will have to check flow immediately after stalling.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK that kills the bad solenid or loose wire to it. It's got a fuel pump somewhere. It ain't no 5 hp Briggs with the tank gravity feeding a carb on top of the engine.

Just looked up some diagrams on that skid steer.

Looks like the back (opposite end from the timing gearcase where it's bolted on to the engine) of the IP may be a fuel pump.

Pull up the diagram for the IP. Look at parts 12 - 19. This looks to be a fuel pressure regulator the way it's made with the spring and piston. Very common for this type of pressure regulator on a mechanical IP. Also note that part #14 is a small fuel filter. Prolly one of those very fine screens and they plug easy and are usually overlooked because nobody knows it's there.

Might want to check for a crack in the filter housing or any fuel fittings too. Fittings are most likely brass and the filter housing aluminum and skid steer take quite a beating. A diesel fuel system CAN suck air and not be leaking fuel.

Last edited:

Fordfleet

Reaction score
Finally got back over to Dad's yesterday.

Pulled the IP inlet apart and the screen was clear. Also attached my hand vacuum pump to the fuel line and was able to draw fuel with no problem.

I think I'm running out of other options.

ontariofarmer

Reaction score
I have the same skid steer and I'm having the same problem. I haven't looked at the screen on the IP yet. I'm going to do that tomorrow. I just thought I would send a post to keep it going. Last year we had a massey tractor that suddenly stalled and when the mechanic came out it was earwigs that we found were climbing in the diesel hose on the farm tank so when we filled the tractor the bugs went in the fuel tank and plugged the screens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online